Most Economical (MPG) Mercedes Coupe / Roadster?

Hello,

I'm in Europe and am about to buy my first ever Mercedes. I had been thinking about a 380Sec for awhile (mainly cause Andy Garcia drove one in the movie Jennifer 8 and I fell in love with it) :)

However, I've just discovered that fuel consumption is only 20 MPG or so that really rules tat model out for me I think.

Is there a Mercedes Coupe or Roadster that would get me 35 MPG or am I just kidding myself?

Thanks in advance,

Nathan

Reply to
ShaneFan

Mmm... I can only think of Mercedes A-class for that kind of mileage...that is coupe. But if you are in Europe, then you got lots of coupe choices.

In US? You are kidding yourself.

Reply to
Tiger

Plenty of diesels that easily beat 35.

Alec

Reply to
Alec

I'm running a C220 CDI coupe that returns nearly 50mpg on my daily 40 mile commute which is a mix of winding local roads and motorway. A service interval of 14k miles also seems good to me.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Birchall

Yes. No car with a 3.8 l petrol engine is going to return 35 mpg (Imperial or otherwise).

There is a CLK 270 diesel. Otherwise look at '200' SLKs or CLKs for lowest fuel consumption.

The official figures will be on the Merc website.

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

Hi,

I ust seen one of these actuall that I might buy. I had intially ruled out CLK's as I thought you could not get one with the large three pointed star on the grill (as opposed to the hood / bonnet small three pointed star).

However, I see now that there is a CLK with the gril star in my local Mercedes dealership so I may take a spin in that and see how things go.

The ony thing is it has those two joind up headlights that I also dislike. I just never took to them at all.

My favourite frot on any Mercedes is the three pointed star on the grill with the large headlights like say the SEC or the SL - I just love that look. Even the SLK's headlights are prettier than those two merging circular headlights.

There's a secod hand 220CE or E220 Coupe for sale locally which looks very similar to an SEC ony it doesn't have the 3 pointed star on the grill - it does get 31 MPG though. I now the enginge doesn't compare with the SEC's massive BHP - but that wouldn't bother me as the extra MPG would easily accomodate.

I'd get an SLK but they look far to feminine to me. The CLK is better and is the one I'd go for if I could find one with the star on the grill. The only thing I do not like about the CLK is the rear - it's just not pretty IMO. The 300SL is much prettier but fuel consumption is only 20 MPG or so.

I guess what I really want is the SEC's looks with decent fuel consumption. The E220 Coupe comes damn close but falls with the hood /bonnet based star .. damn! :)

Nathan

ps .. just one more question - has there ever been a Mercedes saloon that had the star on the grill? Or is that strictly only found on a coupe or roadster?

Reply to
ShaneFan

Interesting! I have exactly the opposite preference. Just shows you, there's nowt as cussed as folk (said with a northern English accent).

I have the last of the CLKs (cabrio) with the bonnet star and, although I almost like the current version better, the star is on the grille. :-((

The main reason is that you can see the upright bonnet star when looking out of windscreen when driving; if you can't the view is like just about out of any other car... Maybe I also remember the days when the bonnet was a vast flat expanse stretching out in front, with a nice sight at the end (e.g. the venerable W123); now the bonnets slope away, making it a bit more difficult to see the star.

The DC policy is a grille star on every 'sporty' model, including the C-Class Sports Coupe. :-(((

:-) DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

I have a w116 (300sd) and that is a large flat expanse, to be sure! I also think the star riding out ahead of me is a nice feature.

Bernard

Reply to
Bernard Farquart

Dori A Schmetterling wrote: [...]

Speaking of which, I have the original C230K Sport Coupe (with the 2.3L engine) and it gets about 33 MPG on the highway (according to the trip computer, which always seems a smidge on the optomistic side). With a mix of city/highway driving as part of my daily commute (22 miles each way), I average just over 28 MPG on a tank.

I routinely hit speeds over 70 MPH during the highway part of my commute, and nearly half of the commute is stop-and-go city street driving.

The newer C230K (with the 1.8L engine) should do a little better, and one of the detuned European models (C180K, for example) should do even better than that.

Oh, and I'm a fan of the grille star. It's sportier-looking. And I don't have to worry about somebody trying to pry a hood ornament off my car.

--Paul

** Note "removemunged" in email address and remove to reply. **
Reply to
Paul Wylie

Hi Paul,

Glad to see I'm not alone. I live in a part of Dublin (Ireland not Ihio ) that a bonnet mounted star wouldn't last two seconds in so that is also part of why I would just have to have a grille based star.

I think a 560SEC is out of league at the moment - the insurance and MPG would be just far expensive for my pocket. E Class Coupe's 30 MPG is very tempting but no grille based star so that rules tat out.

Which just really leaves the SLK and the CLK. I allready gave my thoughts on the SLK - it's just far to feminine looking - beautiful looking front though. Those lights are gorgeous. I wish they were on the CLK or even the C Class Coupe for that matter.

C Class Coupe I rule out by the way - as I hate it's rear .. it's just not pretty. The CLK is far nicer .. it's no SEC .. but it still looks very nice.

So, I am just really now considering a 30 MPG E Class Coupe with it's bonnet based star or a 2.0l CLK .. maybe an early one and buy a new grille for it.

I asked earlier had any Saloons or Sedans ever been equiped with a 'sport grile' - well, I was just checking out Benzworld and came across two guy's who had installed sport grlles on their C Class's! Check them out - be interested to see what you guys make of them.

Nathan

ShaneFan

Hi,

Here's my favourite pic of those links by the way. I actually think it looks way better than the C Class Coupe.

I could even get C220 CDi and get 45 MPG with a half decent insurance quote :) Anyone know where to buy these grilles in Europe?

Nathan

Reply to
ShaneFan