OT: something neat at work today

It's automotive, though not a MB item: On display are two gold-plated Starrett #79 calipers. (From that you might be able to guess where I work.) It's sort of neat to see them sitting right there. Wish I could take one of them home. Just for a week or so.

Collin

Reply to
Cheesehead

Excuse my ignorance. First I thought that you were talking about BRAKE CALIPERS. So, I went to Google and got a more realistic description of the gold-plated calipers. Am I warm?

contractorstools.com/starrett_calipers_73.html

"No. 73, 79, 83 Series "Yankee" Spring-Type Calipers and Dividers with flat legs and quick-spring or solid nut

Nos. 73, 79, 83 Series

4, 6, 8, 12" (100, 150, 200, 300 mm)

Starrett "Yankee" Calipers and Dividers are made from a high-grade steel and well finished. The legs are made of flat stock and are very durable. The fulcrum stud is hardened and has a smooth bearing surface. The bow spring, although flexible, is exceedingly strong to assure reliability.

All sizes are available with either spring nut or solid nut. The Starrett quick-adjusting automatic-closing spring nut is designed for making fast, positive adjustments. The threads of the nut firmly engage the screw at the slightest pressure from the leg. When the pressure is withdrawn, the nut automatically releases itself, sliding freely over the screw. This feature saves time in opening and closing."

There are some pics that illustrate what the calipers look like.

Hernando

Reply to
Hernando Correa

They're stood upright and made into a common award in the auto industry from Motor Trend magazine. A #79 is pretty big.

Collin

Reply to
Cheesehead

There were 28 contenders, but only one was the winner of Motor Trend's Car of the Year award: The 2006 Honda Civic. Congrats!

Hernando

Reply to
Hernando Correa

And the Truck trophy was there as well.

Collin

Reply to
Cheesehead

Having read the thread, I see that congratulations are in order. Well, done. It's a great car!

Reply to
Hazey

Motor Trend and Hondas both suck equally in my opinion. Gold plate that.

Reply to
Martin Joseph

Remember, I still drive an E320. So, "Thanks". I think. :)

Collin

Reply to
Cheesehead