radiator antifreeze

is there anything special about the mercedes brand antifreeze/boil/corosion fluid, can i use localy made products? specificaly in the m100 6.9

Ive heard people on here saying it must be compatible or lubricate something with the water pump, whats that about?

thanks

Reply to
Dave T.

It had chemicals in it that buffer the pH. It's so stringly buffered recyclers have a hellluva time tryint to bring the acidity up to normal. This is a patented formula and nobody else is allowed to make ut even though somebody (prestone?) makes this stuff for MB.

Given the outrageous cost of M100 parts I really wouldn't use anything else. It deos lubricate the water pump and will resits corrosion if you use the stuff as directed (change every 2 years).

Reply to
Richard Sexton

Actually, Mercedes antifreeze is manufactured by Valvoline. Although, it's sold as Mercedes antifreeze at the Mercedes dealer. I used to buy it at the Mercedes dealer until I discovered that it's also sold as Zerex G05 antifreeze at many auto parts stores. If you read the label on the gallon bottles of Zerex G05, you will see that it's factory installed on all new Mercedes vehicles.

Reply to
VCopelan

Thanks - that stuff I can buy by the ton at wholesale price.

If its going to destroy my engine, someone speak now - or forever hold your peace.

Reply to
Dave T.

I've heard that too but I've never seen anybody come out and actually say with any authority it's the same and for the buck or two more MB wants who cares?

Reply to
Richard Sexton

MB technical training has always said it was made by Texaco for MBUSA.....

Reply to
Karl

and then responds....

It's good enough for me if Valvoline claims that it's factory installed in all model year 2000 Mercedes vehicles and 2001 and beyond DaimlerChrysler vehicles. Do you really think Valvoline would want to make false claims about their antifreeze and then deal with warranty issues after cooling system failures? The price difference between the Mercedes and Zerex antifreeze may be small but at least it saves me from a another trip to the dealer. I've read that the reason to use the "Mercedes" antifreeze is that it's Ph is different than all other brands and it preserves plastic parts. If you're really paranoid, It's a simple matter to check the Ph of Zerex G05 to see if it's the same as the antifreeze from the dealer.

Reply to
VCopelan

The rule with a mercedes is, "don't use green antifreeze". You can buy MB stuff or you can use any low phosphate product which is usually orange colored. P.

antifreeze/boil/corosion

Reply to
Peter Klein

Well, I bought it, its dirt cheap too, I will have to use this in my ford aswell.

Reply to
Dave T.

Never use green antifreeze in a Mercedes radiator, unless you want to replace it prmaturely. Mercedes coolant is made for them in the U.S. for sale in the U.S. you can use any low phosphate coolant specific for aluminum/plastic radiators. The usual color is orange. P.

antifreeze/boil/corosion

Reply to
pkmaven

Whilst a lot of participants here are, indeed, located in the USA, many are not.

Even if US-supplied Mercs have their anti-freeze made in the US, does it mean the formulation is any different to anywhere else?

Not all MacDonalds 'burgers are made in the US, yet they taste the same everywhere...

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

OUch...

Reply to
Martin Joseph

You've never been to France and had one then obviously ;o) Mike

Reply to
Just Mike