Regular Oil or Synthetic? Which should I use

I have a 1985 500SEL with 81,500 miles on it. The car has always had regular oil ran in it, but I thought of switching to Mobil 1 synthetic. What is your suggestions. And, the owners manual states 87 octane gas, should I follow it, or go with 92 octane?

Reply to
VIPERS969

marlinspike

your wasting your time and extra money with synthetics on a car that old with those miles.... you will gain nothing other than spending more on oil... higher octane fuel is fine...

Brett..

03, 211 E55

Reply to
Brett

Wouldn't you want to give an older car an oil that makes life easier for it? Richard

Reply to
marlinspike

The cost of oil is surely a negligable part of the overall running costs of a car? For the extra protection it gives the engine, especially when cold synthetic oil is well worth it.

Reply to
Oliver Keating

How about if you drive hard/fast? How about if you are running an older engine which doesn't run as smoothly as it used to? If you know how to tell good oil from bad oil,you would know that synthetic stays good longer. And if you ever tried it in an old car you would notice your engine runs smoother. Ever tried synthetic ATF in an old tranny that doesnt work right (even if the old fluid was good)? You would notice that afterwards the tranny works right. Also, cool a bottle of regular and a bottle of synthetic to about 40F, now poor them out...which one is better? On a cold start in winter your engine will thank you. Richard

Reply to
marlinspike

"marlinspike" wrote On a cold start in

Will it email him or leave a voicemail? LOL.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

I completely disagree with Brett. Higher octane fuel in an engine that doesn't need or use it is a total waste. Superior oil that keeps an engine cleaner and running longer is never a waste.

That said, I am assuming the engine is currently in good shape and has been maintained according to the schedule. If it's running poorly or has problems, then Mobil one is no panacea.

Marty

Reply to
Martin Joseph

Reply to
marlin

You should never advance your timing beyond the factory spec. in my opinion. This is likely to cause excessive heat, regardless of the fuel used.

Marty

Reply to
Martin Joseph