Req. W116 280SE dimensions/specs and weights info required

Hello

Can someone tell me or point me to where I can find some specififications for the W116 model. I've done some searching on the old www, and drawn a blank so far. I need to get one transported, and the company need a few details, including:-

Overall Length Wheelbase length Wheel track width Weight (metric tonnes) (model is 280SE)

Any help on these?

Cheers... Rob.

Reply to
Rob. Smith

Hi Rob,

The USA 280SE is similar to yours EXCEPT the USA bumpers extend considerable more than the European S Class versions.

Length, including the USA battleship bumpers: 5220 mm 205.5 inches Width: 1870 mm 73.6 inches Height: 1425 mm 56.1 inches Wheelbase 2865 mm 112.8 inches

Track: Front:1521 mm 59.9 inches Rear: 1505 mm 59.03 inches

Curb Weight: 1765 kg 3890 lbs

I'd estimate the USA bumpers add 8" to 10" to the car's length.

I hope this helps you.

Tom

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

Hi Tom

You guessed it, I'm looking at buying one, but it needs transporting and I know a guy with a car trailer, but I've got to be sure it'll go on. If its ok, I may get rid of my 126. I hanker for the older (simpler models). Can I ask did you track this info down on the web (cos I certainly came up blank) or is it from your personal records.

Cheers... Rob.

"T.G. Lambach" wrote:

Reply to
Rob. Smith

M-B 116 Chassis Manual (USA Version), thus the data comes with our battleship bumper dimensions.

Rob, if you want simple why not a 126 turbodiesel? Nice cars, simple motors.

Tom

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

Hello Tom

Well, I didn't buy the car. Thankfully the guy posted me some more pics of it and I saw the work reqd to the sunroof area. I decided that I didn't want to spend that much on the repair. Better to take your advice on the W116. Don't buy one or wait till a really nice one (pref without sunroof) comes along.

As for the 126 turbodiesel. They weren't (to my knowledge) ever sold here in Blitey. I've certainly never seen one. There was a diesel version of the W116, also not available here. The earliest diesels we got was the 123 series (240D and 300D).

Cheers... Rob.

"T.G. Lambach" wrote:

Reply to
Rob. Smith

Hi Rob,

Too bad no 126 Turbos were sold in the UK. How about a 123 Turbodiesel? But then you seem to like the larger models.

Be patient and keep the cash at the ready.

Tom

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

These diesels were never sold in Europe AFAIK, but I regularly see

300SD's imported from the US offered in Holland.

There are a few for sale now:

Ximinez

Reply to
The Spanish Inquisition

Yikes, I'm rich!

These prices are about triple the USA price for such old cars.

1980 300SD 110,000 miles, original owner.
Reply to
T.G. Lambach

You see a fair number of old US cars on the Dutch market. A friend of mine has a Porsche 944 that was originally American. The US climate is often a bit more friendly on the cars than ours.

I guess these imported 300SD's are special because they're the only large luxury MB diesels available of that age (they only started selling Diesel S-class with model W140) and Dutch tax laws can make them very attractive to drive in.

Cars over 25 yo don't pay road tax (~1200 EUR yearly for a big diesel)

Cars over 15 yo are cheap to use as a company car (22% of the market value added to one's taxable income versus 22% of original purchase price for younger cars). Max income tax is 52%.

Plus: Diesel fuel is relatively cheap here.

Ximinez

Reply to
The Spanish Inquisition

I have seen one W123 300 turbo diesel for sale. That is really rare. There are a fair amount of 123 300D about (relatively speaking). As for buying an import, well that's ok except that it'd be a left hooker, and the parts would be really hard to get, not just difficult. I think I'm going to have to wait for a 280 or 350SE, but I'd really prefer one without a sunroof. That really reduces the availability. I have only seen one 280SE without.

There is a 79 350SE (with s.roof) for sale on the autotrader here (a national UK weekly car sales mag). They want nearly £4k for it, but it is claimed to be 60k miles. That's a fair distance from me too.

Cheers... Rob.

The Spanish >T.G. Lambach wrote:

Reply to
Rob. Smith

I haven't seen many without a sunroof either. My 250D (w124) has a sunrooof and I enjoy it a lot (in fact it's my first car with a sunroof). I do hope it keeps working as well as itr does now. I asked my garage about preventive maintenance, but they say there's not a lot they can do. I had both rear window motors fail, so it seems like the roof's a prime candidate for failure too. In fact the optional parts of the car seem to be the first to go. Most W126 on the market here have a lot of optioonal parts, electric seats, climate control, etc, etc.

If you keep the roof closed (disconnect the wires) are there any real downsides to it? Mine doesm't seem to have any rust so far.

Ximinez

Reply to
The Spanish Inquisition

Hello Ximinez

The downside to the roof is the corrosion. It will happen regardless of you using the roof or not. The coorosion comes from beside the draught seals around the edge of the moving roof panel. These seals are in fact attatched to the vertical sides of the roof aperture (not the moving panel). On every car I have seen corrosion, it is on the car roof around the sunroof aperture. The moving roof panel is always perfect. The other big rusting area is the sunroof mechanical frame, especially at the corners where the 4 drain pipes leave the frame. It is not uncommon for these to rust through, resulting in water dripping into your lap whilst you drive in a rain storm. Not good, since it causes the interior roof trim to warp. Sun roofs and older cars don't go together. As for the motor, it'll outlast you. Corrosion will get the roof frame mechanism first. The roof movement may get a little slow, due to lack of use/lubrication. A little excercising of the roof regularly (even if you help it with your hand every now and then), and a small tightening of the clutch on the motor drive every once in a while, should keep it sliding fine.

Cheers... Rob.

The Spanish >Rob. Smith wrote:

Reply to
Rob. Smith