SLK 32 AMG Newbie Purchase Question

I've been thinking about getting a SLK 32 AMG as a daily driver. I drive about a mile to work, so I really don't put a lot of miles on my cars.

My current daily driver is Chrysler 300M. My "garage queen" car that I bring out on the weekend (only when the sun is shining) is a Dodge Viper RT/10. I race an F-5 in the SCCA on the weekends, so I've got this little horsepower to weight ratio thing that lead me to the SLK AMG. I told my wife I thought I would sell the Viper if I bought the SLK, but she nixed selling the Viper, so I get to have another toy in the stable.

Inasmuch as miles are not that big a deal for me, I'll probably buy a used SLK.

A couple of questions:

Are there any model years of the SLK 32 AMG I should absolutely stay away from?

What range of miles do problems typically start showing up in this model?

Anything special I should look at or have inspected to make sure I'm not getting a car that's been rode hard and put up wet?

What sort of problems develop with this car?

Any likes or dislikes?

Thanks.

Reply to
Mark Lindsey

"Mark Lindsey com>" I've been thinking about getting a SLK 32 AMG as a daily driver. I drive

There is a German version of the SLK which is a custom build. It is a twin turbo K with high end performance.

I think you would potentially arrive before the navigation had figured out where you needed to go.

Reply to
Miro

"Mark Lindsey" haute in die Tasten:

If you drive the car one mile in the morning and one mile in the evening, you will discover a very high fuel consumption and quite high wear and tear, because that short distance is not at all enough to warm up the engine. Over the long run you will destroy the engine with that. I would think about an electric motor scooter, a bicycle or something like that instead of using any petrol powered car for that. If I were you, I'd probably walk to my office.

Apart from that I am not aware of any particular problems with the SLK 32 AMG. If you can wait some months, you should wait for the new model to hit the market. The supply of used SLK should go up then.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Kemper

Avoid all. Walk!

At worst, use a bicycle (one of those without a motor).

That will make your main vehicle for your soul work better and maybe longer.

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

I drive a mile to my office, that doesn't mean I don't drive to my client's or my projects under construction. I occasionally bike to work, but only if I am 100% certain I will not have nay meetings. Overall, I probably do about 7-9,000 miles per year in my cars.

(Before the advent of stainless steel exhausts, I did go through a lot of exhaust systems.)

When you drive a mile to work, you don't care about gas mileage or the price of gas. I do however, drive the Viper on longer than 1 mile trips to get the temperature up and keep the cobwebs from forming. I change the oil more frequently than most to compensate for the short trips.

Reply to
Mark Lindsey