value of an extended MB warranty on a 2000 E320 with 59000k

I am close to purchasing a 2000 E320 wagon with 59,000km (~36,000 miles) from a MB dealer in Montreal. For 10% more than the purchase price (or $2,800 CAD / $2240 US) they are offering a 3- year MB Extended Warranty good at any MB Dealer at least in Canada and apparently in the US as well.

Years 1 and 2 are "bumper to bumper". Year 3 is for "major components"

Can anyone advise me as to whether this would be worthwhile or tell me what the catch might be? (I am a new MB owner and am not a car guy at all.)

I presume that one "catch" is that for all routine maintenance (tires, brakes, oil, etc.) excluded from the warrranty I have to have it done at a MB Dealer, which would be more expensive than an independent garage.

Many thanks

Peter

Reply to
pstock

The dealer may be offering this policy but who is behind it? If it is CPO from MB [Certified Pre-Owned] then it is NOT bumper-to-bumper. Even the ELW [Extended Limited Warranty] that MB offers to new car buyers with-in the 1st 12 months of new car purchase is not bumper-to-bumper. Only aftemarket policies 'say' they 'offer' bumper-to-bumper coverage until you file a claim and then the coverage seems to vaporize....... The only true bumper-to-bumper coverage is the original 4yr/50 factory warranty.

Reply to
Karl

My experience with well-maintained M-B's is that they usually require a lot of work around 70,000-80,000 mi. If you see yourself in this range within the warranty period, I suggest you buy the warranty. Wish I had

- many times.

Despite the panache, they're just machines - and machines wear out.

Is the M-B a 4matic? If so, figure that might also need some expensive work soon.

BTW, you're going to LOVE the 2000. I have 2 E320's and they're both real joys.

Hope that helps. Enjoy!

Jan

Reply to
Jan

The key to this decision is understanding exactly what's covered and what's not. Extended warrantys are complicated in that there seems to be built-in confusion - the flyer sounds good BUT refers you to the dealer selling the warranty for the details. I'd be wary if the details are not written so one can understand what's offered. This is still the car business, regardless of brand.

I assume the car you're considering is an AWD model, if so, I'd get the warranty. The more things there are to break, more things will break.

A new M-B owner is subject to "sticker shock" anyway, so the added dread of a major repair will take the joy out of your purchase. I've owned M-B cars for 25 years and now know where to have what fixed at a reasonable cost, not so in the beginning and there were more than a few "love - hate" days when the car disappointed AND the dealer's repair cost was quite steep. But I'm still here!

Reply to
T.G. Lambach