Water and Coolant mix ratios question

What's the effect of a more concentrated coolant/water mix? Too much water seems obvious, but what about more coolant? MB coolant suggests

50/50 and 55/55. If car runs in a hot environment, would increasing coolant concentration to 75% coolant / 25% water mix keep car cooler? Typically coolant keeps water from freezing (antifreeze) and lowers boiling point. How concentrated can you make coolant? Safely?

Thanks, Derf

Reply to
Derf-E420-94

Ethylene glycol is a poorer absorber of heat than water, so too much will cause your engine to overheat. Further, the freezing and boiling point changes in a mixture are a colligative property, and the effect peaks out around 60% (good graph at

50% is usually specified because it's easy for drivers to add half and half rather than 60% (and again, the 50% has absorbs heat better).
Reply to
Lloyd

50% is usually specified because it's easy for drivers to add half and> half rather than 60% (and again, the 50% has absorbs heat better). Lloyd's correct. There is however a product that makes coolant more effective by reducing its surface tension. It's made by Red Line and it's called Water Wetter. I've had noticeable results in every vehicle I've used it in.

JD

Reply to
JD

Too little water, hard to remove heat from engine. I tend to like more water than coolant... I go as much as 65% water and 35% water... however, the estimated concentration in the entire system is about 60% water and 40% coolant.

Reply to
Tiger

Tiger ha scritto:

Mmmm... ethylene glycol is just ONE of the components of a modern coolant. A quite normal coolant nowadays offers approximately 140° C range of operations. Approximately from -20/25 up to 112-125° C at specified concentrations. The problem might be different, with old engines. Sometimes, in the new coolant fluids, there are additives to clean up the system. This MIGHT lead to leaks. :-O especially in the area of the shaft of the water pump. Yes: not all the dirt is unuseful... :-) However, I always add fluid instead of water. And never had problems in cooling engine.

An extra point, talking about cooling fluids: some engines ABSOLUTELY need the use of a specific (in Europe it's pink and not blue-green as usual), aluminum protective, coolant. Don't try to add the usual blue-green coolant! This might cause great damages to your engine!!! Even holes... :-(

Reply to
Cordy