97 Mitsubishi Diamante Rear Brakes not releasing

Greetings,

I have a 97 mitsubishi diamante which i can't drive any more because the rear brakes are so tight the car wont move. It started gradually yesterday on my way home from work, when I got out of my car, I smelled something burning, so I checked out the car. Behold the rear discs were glowing bright red!

I didnt use the handbrake, just normal driving.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Czar.

PS; Does anyone have the chilton or haynes ebooks for this car, and if you do, please please email them to me. :)

Reply to
Elitist_Czar

Since both disks are binding, its not something at the rear disk end. There's two issues I can think of.

1) something in the handbrake cable system has a problem. Cables rarely break, but can rust solid. Does the handbrake handle feel "correct" or is it loose? Did you run over something that might have snagged the cable(s)? 2) there's s hydraulic problem. Does your car have ABS? If the brake pedal return spring that holds the pedal up has come adrift (look under the dash) the pedal can sink enough to cause the brakes to drag, but this usually happens at the front, as the front brakes get applied first.
Reply to
Stewart DIBBS