67 Mustang Power Disc Brakes-Low Pedal

I replaced the power assist unit in my 67 Mustang with a rebuilt one as the previous one was leaking.There is now at least an inch of free play in the pedal with the engine running which causes a very uncertain braking feeling! The free play returns slowly after the pedal is depressed. I Removed the master cylinder and checked the power unit pushrod length with a gage as described in the Ford manual and the length was perfect.I also re-bled the brakes and no improvement.Any suggestions would be appreciated. Ken

Reply to
kenG2

I'd go over all the potential mechanical issues before pulling my hair out over the hydraulics. The wheel cylinders in the back tend to blow out or sometimes one of the rear shoes will snap out of the groove on one end of the wheel cylinder, etc...I've go over fronts and backs with a fine toothed comb first. Also, if it turns out to be the booster, perhaps you got a bad rebuild?

Cheers,

Reply to
Ritz