87 high pitched noise from gas tank?

I have an 87 5.0 that just came out of winter storage , you could hear a high pitched noise coming from the gas tank. I was told this was a fuel pump going bad so I just replaced it with a BBK one, but the noise is still there. Any suggestions?

Reply to
Scott

That was the fuel pump working. The sound you still hear is the fuel pump working. When you stop hearing that high pitched noise, you'll also stop hearing the engine run. When you turn the key on, before you start the car, if you pause, you should hear it run for 5 seconds or so to prime the system and ensure fuel pressure for starting.

It's probably just the first time you noticed it. Pretty common.. I drove my first fuel injected Fox around for a while before I noticed the noise too.

JS

Reply to
JS

I've said many times before and I'll say it again. The fuel pump whine DOES NOT mean it is going bad. The pitch will differ from one Mustang to the next. Some may be louder than others. Some you can hear loud and clear. Others you can't even tell if it is running or not.

Reply to
Helmut

When it stops is when it's bad!!! ;^) StuK

Reply to
Stuart&Janet

The one in my 88 hardly made any noise. The one in the 89 sounds like a jet is queued for take off behind me.

-- Jim '88 LX 5.0 (now in car heaven) '89 LX 5.0 vert '99 GT 35th Anniversery Edition - Silver Mods to date - Relocated trunk release to drivers side, shortened throttle cable, PIAA Driving lights.

Reply to
AZGuy

This is normal. When the noise changes is when the pump is going bad. Some cars make more noise than others. You usually can hear the pump in a mustang when idling.

Rein

If you left the old fuel pump in the tank you are still pulling gas through it.

Reply to
me

Reply to
stew