Cooling system maintenance

Hi everybody,

Need to change the cooling system on my car. 1990 5.0 GT AOD. 81k miles

1) Need to replace cracked fan

2) Replacing serpentine belt.

3) Relace hoses (they're all original...running on borrowed time I guesss)

My questions are....

A) Should I forget about repacing the plastic fan and go electric? I'm not looking for any more power, just want the car to run well (which it does now)

B)If I do replace the fan, should I replace the fan clutch as well? And if the answer is yes, should I spend the extra bucks on the cobra clutch fan?

C)When replacing the hoses, I got all these years out of the stock hoses. The blue silicone hoses look great, but are they worth it? My thinking is probably not. Looking for opinions.

D)Should I repalce the thermostat? It's the original stock ...opens and closes fine...

E)Should I get the radiator boiled out? Are there even radiator shops anymore? ANd should I replace it?

F) The "Low Coolant" light comes on, even though the respvoir is filled. Anybody know the fix to this? I usually do it the cheapo way...car gets to running temp. Restart the car, and the "Low Coolant" light goes off.

Thanks for your help!

Jimmy

Reply to
Jimmy

Is the sensor in the coolant when the engine is cold? Pull it out and see if it's wet.

Don't know about the '90 Stang, but my '91 did the same thing and the coolant sensor failed a couple of months later. The sensor was also too short and wouldn't always dip into the antifreeze. Ford sells a newer coolant level sensor, Ford part number F00Z-10D968-A; has a reach over two inches longer into the recovery tank than the stock sensor on my '91 5.0L Mustang. The dip electrode of the newer sensor is about 15" long measured from the bottom of the recovery tank cap.

Don Montgomery Santa Rosa, CA

Reply to
donrm

yup, if it's the original one, you are way past due. They're cheap.

depends, if you changed the fluid often enough it is not needed. If it has the original fluid, you need to get it rodded. (or at least tested) and yes, there still are radiator shops around.

sensor ? See the other email.

Rein

the low rad. light comes on: the fix for this is to add about 1 cup of antifreeze to the tank.. the sensor is very sensative and will give you a false reading that it is low....

Reply to
jim

----- Original Message ----- From: "Rein" Newsgroups: rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang Sent: Wednesday, September 10, 2003 7:36 PM Subject: Re: Cooling system maintenance

That was my thinking too. But I'm also of the school "If it ain't broke..." so I was looking for opinions. Thanks. I'll change it. You're right. It's cheap enough.

I change it every 1 - 1 1/2 years, but there's stilla white crud in there when I ipen the radiator...So I figured it probably needs a good cleanout. I was going to use that prestone kit they used to sell for slushing the coolant system, but last time I was at Autozone, looks like they don't sell that anymore. It was a kit that attached a fitting to the heater hoses where you could attach a garden hose into the cooling system and flush and flush for as long as you like.

Yes. Read it. I think I'll pick up the longer sensor. It's one of those quirky thinks that when I found the quick fix, it never bothered me. But I also take the "Low Coolant" light for granted. I ignore it which basically makes the light useless. I do watch the temperature gauge, but it's the stock gauge and it's always "Normal"

Reply to
Jimmy