Creating a thread on a metal post?

So this is random, but Im scratching my head... trying to find a way to mount a little mustang badge on my grille, the badge has little metal posts that arent quite long enough to reach..

Is there something that will put a thread on them so I can put on a nut and a bracket? I.E. the oposite of drilling and tapping a hole, can i thread a blank post somehow?

If not, what can I use to bond chromed metal (permanently enough that some kid wont yank it off)

Reply to
<japhar>

You need a die...as in "tap and die set"

However, since those emblems are fairly soft metal, and the post diameter small, a die might not work.

I've see some emblems held on with a stamped-steel, self-tapping nut similar to those pictured on this site:

a the 'Palnut' models) DP Pics of the cars:

Dinsdale

stop scratching we have enough dandruff ya sand nig its dirty under that turbin

i bet you shoot blanks ya tard

have them removable the kids will get your paint unless they get them off

ya foctard

h u r c a s t

Reply to
formoco

What kind of grille do you have?

I have a billet gille on mine. I put a Cobra emblem in the middle of it. I used Automotive two sided tape, just like they use to attach the side emblems, it has held for several years, no problem. You clean the back really well with alcohol, let it dry. Over apply it, cut the excess off with a razor blade so that it it trimmed nicely around the edges of the emblem and stick it on.

BUT my grille IS metal.

The posts are very soft, if you try to thread one, you may have it break off. You MIGHT be able to use something like JB weld (or some sort of really good glue) screws to the back of the emblem or something like that if the back of the emblem is hollow

Reply to
SVTKate

Get a piece of tubing that fit's over the posts, and extends past the post ends about 1/4". Get a screw (like #10), that is the same diameter as the post, and cut the head off. The screw should fit in the tube, and the tube should fit over the end of the post. Use JB Weld to hold it all together. I would even dril a couple of transverse holes in the tube to allow the JB Weld to spooge out and make a stronger bond and prevent air pockets.

Reply to
.boB

Ohhh Bobby! You much smart boy!!!

| > Is there something that will put a thread on them so I can put on a nut and | > a bracket? I.E. the oposite of drilling and tapping a hole, can i thread a | > blank post somehow? | >

| > If not, what can I use to bond chromed metal (permanently enough that some | > kid wont yank it off) | >

| | Get a piece of tubing that fit's over the posts, and extends past the post ends | about 1/4". Get a screw (like #10), that is the same diameter as the post, and cut | the head off. The screw should fit in the tube, and the tube should fit over the end | of the post. Use JB Weld to hold it all together. I would even dril a couple of | transverse holes in the tube to allow the JB Weld to spooge out and make a stronger | bond and prevent air pockets. | | -- | .boB | 1997 HD FXDWG - Turbocharged! | 2001 Dodge Dakota QC 5.9/4x4/3.92 | 1966 Mustang Coupe - Daily Driver | 1966 FFR Cobra - Ongoing project |

Reply to
SVTKate

Reply to
<japhar81>

The grille is billet..

I was going to use tape, except the damn badge is hollow, and has a ton of curves. JB weld is what the guy said to use, but im not wild about using superglue on my baby.

Reply to
<japhar81>

Reply to
<japhar81>

Hhhhhuh, huhuhuh hhuuh huhh he thaid "spooge", huh huhuhuh....

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

mmmm, spooge

Reply to