Drilling holes in air filter casing - legitimate or redneck?

I recently got a K&N air filter for my '01 GT. I was telling him about how it seems to be a lot louder now, up front and in back. He said i should drill a few small holes in the casing or whatever its in to make it flow better and make it even louder. He said a lot of people do it on explorers? Is he full of crap? i mean, of course it will work i suppose, but is this retarded?

Reply to
idahoprime

In the air filter "case" thing itself? The thing shaped like a bullet in my

4.6L V8 SOHC engine? Or the actual "tube" running from the filter to the intake plenum? If in the case itself & not the tube.... I don't see *why* it'd work or *how* it'd help flow at all....... but DEFINITELY do *NOT* cut into the tube running from filter to intake plenum EVER. :P

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

------------------

Leave it alone and forget about it.

Reply to
GT-Vert-03
** I recently got a K&N air filter for my '01 GT. I was telling him about how ** it seems to be a lot louder now, up front and in back. He said i should ** drill a few small holes in the casing or whatever its in to make it flow ** better and make it even louder. He said a lot of people do it on explorers? ** Is he full of crap? i mean, of course it will work i suppose, but is this ** retarded?

I once knew a guy who said I should drill holes in the muffler of my 1964 Dodge Dart to make it sound 'badass'. After stupidly doing so, I discovered that it sounded hideous. The friend had himself quite a laugh at my expense.

Leave the filter housing alone. Same goes for the intake silencer. I've discovered that cutting it lowers low-end torque and increases the noise level, neither of which can be considered a beneficial 'mod'. And I can now say the same about removing the MAF screen. Been there, done it, regretted it. Spare yourself some embarassment.

Regards,

-JD

--------------------------------- JD's Locally-Famous Mustang Page: http:/207.13.104.8/users/jdadams---------------------------------

Reply to
JD Adams

Heh...that's funny I had a friend tell me the same thing about my 73 mustang. But I trumped him and cut the entire muffler off. Now THAT sounded badass.

- Nick

Reply to
Nick D.

And irritated the entire neighborhood.....

Reply to
Ralph Snart

heheheh... how would drilling holes in the muffler make it sound any better anyway? ;P I wouldn't of done it... but then again I've heard the story before also.. never understood it... wanted to try it, but was just too darn lazy.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

Its pretty easy to understand. Just how many times have you seen a post like this ? "I want my mustang louder".

there is an old saying. "If you can't make them fast, make them loud" I think that's why fart cans are so popular :)

MadDAWG

Reply to
MadDAWG

lol

Reply to
<memset

.

So you're saying that the loud fart cans DON"T make cars faster???

Oh crap, where the hell's my order number!

John Del Wolcott, CT

"I'm just trying to get into heaven, I'm not running for Jesus!" Homer Simpson

(remove S for email reply)

Reply to
John Del

Heh...yeah. It was so loud it made my ears hurt. But the only reason I did it was that I was getting a whole new exhaust system installed the next morning from the headers back, so...I had nothing to lose really...and now it sounds great! (BBK shortys, custom h-pipe, 30 series flows...in case you were wondering)...I'll probably get some whistle tips installed soon ;-)

- Nick

Reply to
Nick D.

YES!

Reply to
Ironrod

Definately redneck. Drilling holes (assuming it's inside the engine compartment) will result in increasing the temp of the incoming air (heat from the engine bay). Have you ever seen guys cooling the intake by placing a bag of ice on top of it? Bottom line, the cooler the air, the more horsepower you can produce. Drilling holes will likely reduce your horsepower. Don't drill the box, just go get yourself a cold air induction kit (flows better and is less restrictive). Cold air induction kits are available at reasonable prices on Ebay. That's where I got mine and I love it! My 2 cents for what it's worth.

Steve Brooks

93 GT

Reply to
Steve Brooks