Gas points cards. Are they all pathetic jokes?

This is in Canada. So you buy 500 litres of Sunoco 94 and you get 10,000 points which equals a $10 gas card? 500 litres at current pricing works out to almost $600.00. That means the "savings" is a whopping 1.7%. Buy only 87 octane gas and the savings drops to about 0.3% at best!!!

Reply to
Rich

I'm not sure what your point is, Rich.... Locally, we have a a gas station that sells gaoline at the same posted prices as all the other vendors in town (I wont bore you with what high volume users pay at cardlocks or even how much less extremely high volume, national account users pay...)...

So.... we (my wife and I) purchase our gasoline from this vendor..... They have given us what they call a "liter log".... It's a card with about 15 or so spaces.... Each time we purchase gas, the card is marked and stamped. When the card is full, we get a 3 cent per liter cash back... You might consider this to be a pathetic joke....

I see it as 3 cents per liter that nobody else is going to offer me... I see it as "found money".... A discount is a discount... small - large - whatever.... Saying "that's pathetic.. I'll pay full price before I accept a puny discount....".

FWIW... the 3 cent discount appears to work for the car, the truck, the bike, the lawn mower, the weed whacker, the chain saw, the generator. I wont become rich with this scheme.... but my gas is 3 cents per liter cheaper....

At least Brent is on your side.....

Reply to
Jim Warman

Local grocery store chain has taken to pairing up with Sunoco and handing out discount cards worth 5 cents per gallon, 10 cents per gallon, or more on a single-use fill-up. I'm not sure what the purchase levels are - I can spend over $100 on groceries and get a 5 cent card; my daughter spends less than $50 and gets a 10 cent card (hey, she's really cute).

In the end, I can get maybe 13 gallons on a fill-up, which saves me 65 cents with a 5 cent card. Having spent over $100 to get that 65 cent savings is a piss poor way of looking at things. I would have spent the $100 anyway, and the gas card is just a little extra thank-you from the grocery store (and a marketing ploy by Sunoco). If I were a cynical runt, I suppose I'd complain about the numbers.

But I'm not. 65 cents means almost nothing to me, but it's kind of fun to put that discount card in the gas pump and buy my gas 5 cents cheaper per gallon for the one time I can use that card.

Some folks can complain about virtually anything.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

There is an old Scottish saying.... "If ye mind the pence, the pounds will fend for themselves...".

Rich wants to complain about free shit...

Not long ago, I purchased a new DMM - my old one still worked for the most part but some kind soul burned out the fuse for the ampmeter and substituted a fuse too large... Still an accurate voltmeter and ohmmeter and all the other functions... I gave it to someone that didn't have a DMM.... They complained about the amp function not working....

I said "I can take care of that for you" as I took the meter back and calmly dropped it into the trash can...

Problem solved...

Free shit is free shit. I gas up at the place with the liter logs.... it is closer to my house and my favourite restaraunt than amost other stations... I have to buy gas anyway... the inside of the store doesn't smell like stale mustard and the staff is courteous... I earn over 64 cents per minute so a nickel isn't going to mean much to me.... add up all those nickels over a lifetime, however.....

I'm not going to travel out of my way for pennies... but if someone is going to give them to me anyway????

Reply to
Jim Warman

Unless you value valueless free stuff. Why not dumpster dive as a hobby?

Reply to
Rich