Help With Smog Test/Engine Check Light

Took My 96gt to get a smog test and it failed. The 25mph test resdings were above the max. HC (PPM) Max allowed is 36 and my resding measure was 80 CO (%) Max allowed is .0.46 and my mesure was 0.52 The tech said this reading suggest too much gas is being used or something like that. If I bring this number down the other one should come down also. By the way my check engine light seems to come on when it feels like and then will simply goes off. The codes that came up when it was on as my mechanic told me were. P1131 P1260 P1443 NEED HELP! any wisdom on what i should do next to try and pass my smog test. The smog test is a test only station so they will do no repairs as you know. Thanks for any info

Reply to
Stepford

P1131=O2 sensor P1260=anti-theft break-in P1443=IAC

You might as well put some new plugs in as well...possibly a new thermostat. Also, it's been my experience that the canister purge valve and sensor may be next to go.

HTH Tom Stock 96GT Pacific Green Coupe

59K miles
Reply to
tom