Oil can be made

Methane gas is an abundant natural resource. It is CH4 One part carbon 4 parts hydrogen. It is emitted by Animals and rotting garbage.

In a recent experiment some Methane was subjected to intense pressure and as a result Crude oil was the by product. One of the big oil sayings and the green people is that we will run out of crude oil. I think it is impossible to do. With all of the animals and garbage on this planet every day, we will never run out of Crude Oil.

I think it is time for all of you to contact your congressmen and senators and ask them why we do not start making crude oil without drilling.

All of the garbage dumps should be fitted with methane recovery systems. Even barns where cattle are kept can be fitted with devices of that sort.

What do you all think?

Reply to
Les Benn

I think "crude oil" is not what results from pressurizing methane gas.

There may be easily stored and transportable combustibles that can be produced from naturally-occurring processes, but "crude oil" implies subsequent refining is required, and that and its energy requirements, as well as the impact of invitable combustion and by-products are probably not much different from what happens now.

It's a good idea to harness methane, and I hope someone does it on a significant scale. It will take large investments of money and time. Meanwhile, let's see if we can divert some of the good-ol'-boy money from corn to something with a reasonable future.

Reply to
Frank ess

On Sat, 29 Aug 2009 15:13:20 -0700, Les Benn rearranged some electrons to say:

The technology was invented nearly 100 years ago.

Reply to
david

Methane is abundant on Saturn's moon titan. And without any biological processes to account for it. Why then is it considered absurd my so many to doubt the fossil origin of methane, an abundant gas on earth?

We know we can synthesize oil from methane. So if we can using heat and pressure why couldn't that same process be occurring naturally inside earth? Lays a little doubt at the feet of the Fossil fuel peak oil alarmists. Perhaps oil is more abundant on earth than imagined or admitted to. Who do you think would profit from propagating the scarce resource theory?

Reply to
columbotrek

I have yet to see the cost of conversion of methane in quantity.

It's one thing to produce a small quantity under controlled conditions in a lab, and quite another to produce on a large scale.

There is zero doubt that there is sufficient methane available. In fact, in California, dairy farmers, stockyards, etc, are comverting mountains of manure and settling ponds to trap methane. Initial use is for the facilities directly for power production to run lights, machinery, etc.

If similar facilities can be converted, and excess, passed on to other converted systems, the oil reserves would be extended. If there is insufficient methane, we could always run a piping system to extraterrestrial sources.

Seriously, methane is very abundant in solid form in the deep oceans. In fact, it is a serious concern for proponents of global cooling. As ocean leavels drop to become gigantic sheets of glacial ice on land, the pressure required to keep the methane in solidity will drop. This will release great quantities of methane into the atmosphere. This would poison the atmosphere, and there is an added danger of a global "explosion" resulting in a conflagaration which eliminates a greater portion of the worlds populace. This would tremendously extend the available oil reserves.

All in all, the best solution, since a complete social change on a worldwide basis regarding the use of fossil fuels, is a huge reduction in world populations. Essentially, starting over with the knowledge we possess today. Only a sudden leap in technology would, as far as I can see, be an alternative solution. Even at that the population levels are too great.

Reply to
veeger

The reason why is rather simple, science is not pure and like anything else questioning the status quo opens one up to be called a kook. A politically established theory is very difficult to get rid of even if there is a mountain of evidence for something else. With regard to the general public many people can't let go of what they were taught in grade school.

Considering all the hydrocarbons in the solar system in addition to the depths that oil has been found at it's unlikely that all oil or all hydrocarbons on earth are from life forms. My guess is that some is and some isn't.

Reply to
Brent

"Harness methane"? "Someone" has already done it on a significant scale. Methane is natural gas. I've harnessed it (with the help of my local gas company) to heat my house, cook my food, and provide me with hot water.

Paul

Reply to
Paul