Stator connection to ground?

I was helping getting a garaged 66 Mustang (with 289) running and discovered that the battery wasn't charging. While checking this out, I found the wire from from the stator on the Alternator to the voltage regulator was missing. I looked at my old generic Chiltons book which shows the Ford charging circuit. This shows a connection between the stator and the regulator. I added in the connection between the stator and the voltage regulator and the battery is charging okay. After getting everything running, I found out that the Advanced Auto parts website has wiring diagrams. Their diagram shows a connection from stator to voltage regulator, but it also shows the connection going to ground. The stator output is supposed to control the field relay in the regulator, but if the connection is tied to ground how does the field relay run? Anyone have any thoughts on this or does someone have a real Mustang book/Manual that shows the charging circuit and can verify the connections?

Reply to
spudman

Send us a link to the Advanced Auto diagram.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

It should not go to ground. This is a hot terminal and on some cars it powers the electric choke also.

Reply to
deadcarnahans