Thinking of getting a K&N filter...

The exhaust system has already been modified to a more free-flowing system than stock, so induction is my next step... should I just get the OE replacement filter that goes in the air box, or should I replace the air box with a cold air induction unit?

Thanks for any replies!

-- James '94 GT

Reply to
LoTekGuru

well depends what you want to do..myself id get the whole system..why beat around the bush..bottom line you will end up getting it later..so save yourself some work and get~r~dun lol the induction systems from k&n are awsome...if you need a part number or price let me know. ~stew~

Reply to
stew

The Cold Air Kit wont do much for your car unless u get the Chrome one then it will look good...but thats about it..you might get about 2-5 hp from that but you wont feel a difference at all. Its really a waste of money. I would say spend that money on some pullies if you dont have any or get some gears.

Bryan

2004 Mustang Convertible GT -Sonic Blue

-Light Bar

-Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter

-White face gauges

-4.10 gears

-2 chamber flowmaster exhaust

-K & N Filter

-Red Calipers all around

Reply to
Bryan S. Moore

Thanks Bryan, I already have an upgraded UD pulley system and .373 gearing though

Reply to
LoTekGuru

Sorry to break it to you but your air filter is not the bottleneck on the intake side. Most likely it is your intake manifold. Get a better intake manifold or a bigger throttle body, then worry about better flowing filtration. If Ford could get a car to have better mileage by giving a higher flowing air filter they would do so from the factory. Larger air filters are cheap, and if they help power they help mileage, and vice versa. Point being, stop being ghetto with the rice-burner modifications and do something to increase your power before getting 'bling bling' that's all show and no go.

Reply to
Cory Dunkle

"Cory Dunkle" wrote

**snipped for clarity**

| Point being, stop being ghetto with the rice-burner modifications

... well THAT was a pretty shitty remark. from what I read, he has already done some pretty good mods and was looking for advice on a K&N or another way to open it up so it can breathe better. I didn't see anything there that said "oooohhhh I want the shiney thingy to put under my hood so it will look really cool and impress my buddies and my girl"

Kate

and do | something to increase your power before getting 'bling bling' that's all | show and no go. |

| > Thanks for any replies! | >

| > -- | > James | > '94 GT | |

Reply to
SVTKate

I dunno, Kate.... perhaps Cory didn't present his case in a politically correct manner, but he did make a good point.

Personally, in a street application with a mildly modified motor, the stock paper element well maintained is likely more than adequate and, in many areas, a safer bet. Where I live, the K&N will hurt you more than help you but that's for another thread....

Modifying a motor is not a piecemeal kind of thing.... we need to design our modifications as a "package" and that package has to work well together. All too often we see someone with pieces that don't "come together" in the desired rpm range... leaving a disatisfied owner, a deflated wallet and a car that can't live up to it's potential.

Life ain't particularly politically correct.... most times, shitty remarks need to be made. I'm sure that LoTekGuru will be able to deal with the situation and move ahead... hopefully applying mods in a sane and logical manner...

Jim Warman

Sorry... I was in a bad mood. Nonetheless, the fact remains that a more freely flowing air fliter is not gonna do a thing for him with a stock intake. The air filter is not the bottleneck in his car. As I said, a more logical upgrade would be a new intake manifold or throttle body, and perhaps a bigger air filter as well at that time. I personally don't believe K&N and similar air filters are a good idea. They do now filter as well as a regular paper style filter. For my '68 I simply changed from my stock air filter and housing to a 14"x4" (I think it's 4" anyway, if not it's 3") big-ass air filter and open housing. This makes a difference now that I've got a 4 barrel carb and a slightly better than stock aluminum intake, with better breathing heads and I'm sure the holes in the exhaust help too. Point being, after the rest of the work to the engine it may actually be able to take advantage of the better flowing filter.

Reply to
Cory Dunkle

A free flowing intake isnt worth the money either.. UNLESS you get free flowing heads.

The intake is matched to the heads. The throttle body, mass air and filter is matched to the intake and heads. Changing anything upstream of the heads will get you VERY little for your money. Ford matched it all for maximum performance (torque mostly) with those heads. Changing any of it will get you almost no more high end HP and will most likely LOWER the torque.

LJH

95GT (331 stroker, AFR 185 heads, TFS Track heat intake, 70mm throttle body, 75mm Univer MAF, K&N filter in the fender).

free-flowing

Reply to
Larry Hepinstall

It comes down to this; If you were to feature your car in a magazine at some point, which would you prefer: "Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords," or "Dub Lifestyle!!!"

Reply to
Richard

"Richard" wrote

LMAO! Good point! BTW, has anybody seen the riced out toy mustang that DUB is making. Available at your local Wally World.

Reply to
Scott Williams

Cars in MM&FF never have K&Ns? Interesting.

Reply to
Brad

hi james - i've heard all this before and i will give you a few tips. first, it depends what you are wanting to do with the car. if it just an everyday driver, that's one thing, running it on the strip, that's another.

here's some bare bone facts. at sea level, there's 14.7lb psi pushing down on the filter surface. when the engine draws it's charge for the intake stroke, it has only that 14.7lb to push air into the cylinder, so naturally, any restriction on the filter surface is going to result in a pressure drop with less pressure at the cylinder intake. if you were to compare a fresh stock air filter against a k & n at idle, there should not be any different. it would be much like a gentle breeze blowing through a screened window. now, as soon as start pulling higher rpm's on it such as a race situation, then that screen is going to whistle and so it goes with the stock filter vs the k & n filter. the k & n filter will shine at this point.

so, what do we know. we know that manufactures like to twist facts. it is a fact that at higher revs, you can get better horsepower out of a low restriction filter, but to advertise it like it does it all the time is not right, but that's the art of selling.

if you want to get extra horsepower fairly cheap, change over to synthetic oil and you should gain about a 3% increase in horsepower due to the reduction in internal friction. so, with a 200 hp engine, that would be a net gain of 6 hp. not bad for the money. and this is a gain that you have available all the time, not just on top end.

hope this helps.

~ curtis

87 GT 89 GT conv 90 GT 93 LX 5.0
Reply to
c palmer

Not necessarily.

Katmandu

Reply to
stew

Thanks curtis, that was probably the most helpful reply aimed at a stock motor... I do plan on doing some autocrossing next summer and wanted to get a couple things done beforehand without spending boatloads of cash

-- James '94 GT

Reply to
LoTekGuru

According to that site "15-20 hp" is possible. Not a big deal when you consider what a good set of heads will get you. And how much torque do you have to give up to get that gain? A few extra HP above 5000 rpm is not worth big torque loss below that.

LJH

95GT

Reply to
Larry Hepinstall

Don't get me wrong.... I've been playing for too many years not to realize that a couple of horses here and there can make a difference. What we do need to take into account is that for most on this list, these cars are their daily drivers. As such, it is important to remember that these young 'uns need all the breaks they can get.

First.... on the street, those extra couple of ponies don't mean squat. The street is no place to be trying this crap out, anyway. On the strip.... that

14 seconds (not including burn out and staging) wont make much difference so why not just remove the air filter altogether? I'm not out to "get" K&N..... but where I live, I can (without a doubt) relate engine failures to high flow air filters.

In light of my 35+ years doing this, your explanation approaches an insult... I'll let that pass. There is a bigger picture that we must addres and that is the long term health of these street motors.... key phrase being "street motors"...... The Pants-o-meter can't see a 5 horsepower gain - and nobody will cinvince me different.

Reply to
Jim Warman

Jim,

I'm curious. What's happening with these high flow air filters to cause engine failure?

Reply to
John