Turn signal - intermittent problems - Switch?

For some time I have had an intermittent problem with my right turn signal (OMG! A woman that uses one!) It's getting worse. I must have used it too much when it was new.

First of all, no bulbs burned out I've checked them all.

On occasion, it blinks rapidly when switched on, as it would if a bulb is out. I can usually click it down then back up again and it will return to the normal blink. Often, if I turn the steering wheel, it will correct the blinking problem, maybe a conicidence because I turn it off - turn the wheel - turn it on again (you know, when sitting at a light or something)

Often if I just press it up to signal briefly (as in a lane change) it will not make the connection and it will not signal at all unless I ckick it into the ON position.

So, here's my question: Do you think it may be the switch, or the thing in the column that tells it to turn off after you have completed your turn?

Or do you think I should just stick to turning left?

TIA

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate

Sounds like the turn signal switch itself is worn out, and needs replaced. I know that is not what you wanted to hear.

Reply to
GEB

Starting to see this more often in the 94-98 cars. It seems to be a problem with the contacts within the switch, sometimes with the turn signal switch on the dash indicator light doesn't come on as well. when it is acting up, move the lever slightly up or down and the problem will probably stop. More than likely the switch and a replacement would take care of it, if you end up wanting a new one let me know and I will see what I can do one for through my parts guys here at BV Ford.

TIM -aka- snipped-for-privacy@AOL.COM

Musttanguy

Do they get sloppy or would a shot of cleaner fix it?

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

See.. I thought that maybe I could clean the contacts, but am not going to tear it apart until I have the $$$ to replace it, just in case.

Kate

| >>intermittent problem with my right turn >signal | >

| > Starting to see this more often in the 94-98 cars. It seems to be a problem | > with the contacts within the switch, sometimes with the turn signal switch on | > the dash indicator light doesn't come on as well. when it is acting up, move | > the lever slightly up or down and the problem will probably stop. | > More than likely the switch and a replacement would take care of it, if you end | > up wanting a new one let me know and I will see what I can do one for through | > my parts guys here at BV Ford. | >

| > TIM -aka- | > snipped-for-privacy@AOL.COM | >

| | | Do they get sloppy or would a shot of cleaner fix it? |

Reply to
SVTKate

Do you have problems when using the wipers? My 95's is all messed up, my delay sometimes doesn't work so I have to play with the switch so it could make contact ;0( I wonder how hard it is to replace.

Reply to
RioRedGT

No problems with the wipers, but now that you mentioned it, and it's about to be the rainy season AND that I am F---ing broke as hell ... you watch, they will be acting up soon.

From what I saw, to replace it, you only have to remove a couple of trim panels, the lock cylinder and it's two screws and a couple of plugs. Looks easy ! Do you have a book on your car?

Kate

| > Kate | >

| |

Reply to
SVTKate

Kate,

Had the exact same problem on my cobra. I sprayed the switch with a lot of wd40 till it was soaked then cleaned up the residue with a paper towel. Then moved the switch up and down serveral times to work it through. Has worked ever since about a month. I didn't even take the switch out. I'm sure it will eventually happen again and when it does I'll spray it again. Eventually I buy a new switch but if it works why not.

dave

Reply to
dave

Hey Kate,

One other idea (and cheaper) would be try replacing the relay (clicker thingy) that is plugged into the fuse block. Sometimes, when the relay becomes polarized, it will start giving you the indication that you described.

At work, we have a van that after the turn signal is cancelled, it will still click a few more times as if the turn signal is still going but the lights don't flash.

Reply to
Greg B.

Ok Greg, I'll try the fixes first. It couldn't hurt to replace a little relay either, they don't cost much, and it would be good preventative maintenance.

Kate

| > First of all, no bulbs burned out I've checked them all. | >

| > On occasion, it blinks rapidly when switched on, as it would if a bulb is | > out. I can usually click it down then back up again and it will return to | > the normal blink. Often, if I turn the steering wheel, it will correct the | > blinking problem, maybe a conicidence because I turn it off - turn the | > wheel - turn it on again (you know, when sitting at a light or something) | >

| > Often if I just press it up to signal briefly (as in a lane change) it | will | > not make the connection and it will not signal at all unless I ckick it | into | > the ON position. | >

| > So, here's my question: | > Do you think it may be the switch, or the thing in the column that tells | it | > to turn off after you have completed your turn? | >

| > Or do you think I should just stick to turning left? | >

| > TIA | >

| > Kate | >

| |

Reply to
SVTKate

True, I did that once with a 58 Cadillac. Took the wheel off and was going to shoot it with some LPS and a little DeOxIt and the whole thing fell out in a clump of parts. Ooops.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

I had this problem last year, didn't do anything about it and it went away. I think using the turn signals by pressing the lever but not all the way so it keeps blinking causes it (you let it go and the blinking stops). Since I stopped doing that, it went away. This was on a 95GT.

Rein