Faulty fuel sensor?

My 1987 300zx non-turbo automatic has a weird quirk... when the gas hits 3/4 tank, the primary needle quickly drops to 1/4. Then it'll drop to E, then past E to wherever it stops. Thing is, it still has that missing half-tank. Until recently, the secondary quarter-tank needle still worked... When I was really running into a quarter-tank, the orange indicator dropped down into view. However, that just stopped working. Now I don't know when I'm truly running low until the fuel light comes on. God forbid that stop working, too... Is it possible I have a faulty fuel sensor? Does anyone know how I can fix this?

Reply to
Gil

Likely is the problem.

Replace the fuel sending unit. It's in the tank and there is a access panel for this in the hatch area.

Reply to
Steve T