over charging alternator question

car is a 1983 280 ZX, new battery, new alternator. I went to put the headlights on and the alternator goes dead. Turn them off, and its up and charging again. I put it on a meter, and its putting out 19 volts. I know I put the wiring back on the alternator right. I disconnected the headlights from the original wiring, and hot wired them to the battery via a switch, and the alternator stayed on, no problems. But the meter is still showing high voltage anyway. The regulator is inside the alternator. Does anyone know what may cause this high voltage out put ? Any help is appreciated !!!

Thanks Rich

Reply to
richw40

sounds like a ground problem. check the ground path from the alternator to the engine and from the engine to the chassis also the battery negative connection to the chassis/engine.

also a volt meter will not show if you have one or more blown rectifiers. if this is the problem you should hear a loud tone in your stereo with the engine running that will track with rpm.

I suppose you could have a dead short in the headlight wiring but this *should* pop a fuse.

do the other lights and systems work ok?

Erik

Clamstrippe Fecadunker

I have the same problem with my '83 (not quite so bad) and it's a grounding issue. Poor connections, wiring that's too small, corroded terminals, and just poor contact with the body. I've been driving with replacement cables in my passenger seat for months now.... geotek

Reply to
geotek