2001 Maxima Service Engine Soon light

Hi,
I have a 2001 Maxima. The Service Engine Soon light came on; a few weeks back it popped on b/c I didn't tighten the gas cap enough (it
went off shortly after I tightened it). Now, the light is back on for the past week. I took it to an autozone and I didn't get the actual code number when the tech hooked up the computer, but the guy said the cat converter performance was low.
I've been doing a lot of driving in and out of the mountains, I'd like to just reset it if I can. Unfortunately the 2001 computers don't seem to have the same screw that can reset it like earlier maximas -- is there a way to reset it?
Anyone know if the light will go off after time if the problem corrects itself?
Thanks, Tom
lw snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

You need the scan tool to reset it. Yes, it will go off after a certain number of starts if the problem is corrected. Cat efficiency issues are often corrected with firmware updates (from the dealer).
Thanks Jim,
Any idea on how many starts are necessary or how long I should wait before bringing it in? It's been a week, figure 3 starts/day -- if there's a genuine problem I want to get it fixed, it's low mileage so my hunch tells me there's no problem.
Is it possible a bad tank of gas could've caused this?
Thanks for your advice,
Tom
lw snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

I just looked in the shop manual, but I can find it. I think it's like 35. Chances are it's going to come back. Codes seldom just go way, with the exception of the eval error from leaving the gas cap off.
Great, thanks again for the info and quick reply. I'll probably wait a few days and see if it goes off... otherwise, I'll bring it into the shop.
disconnect the negative battery connection for a minimum of 12 hours, 24 would be even better,,
I know this sounds insane, but i had the same problem with my 2000,,and though disconnecting the battery for an hour would clear the light, it apparently was not long enough to clear the error in the computer - which would trigger the light again in a few days or weeks. The whole system needs to re boot, and the only way to get it to do this is to completely clear all the memory buffers.
lw snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

I had this problem with my 99 Maxima a few weeks ago, did quite a bit of research online about it, including numerous newsgroups and ended up fixing it by doing the following:
The light came on just a few minutes after I had filled up on gas, so I drove the car with the light on until it was pretty much empty again, then went and bought some good fuel injector cleaner, filled it up with a full tank of the best gas I could find (93 octane) and dumped the fuel injector cleaner in it.
Drove the car for about half a tank and the service engine soon light turned off and hasn't been back on since.
May or may not work for you, depending on what the actual problem is, but worked for me and avoided the hastle of checking engine codes or paying $$$$$ at the dealership. Worth a shot anyway, even if it doesn't fix your problem, it definitely won't hurt your car and might save you some dough.
lw snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in

I had a similar situation. AutoZone said it was cod P0420...I waited about 3-4 weeks, and one day, I realized the light was off. Has been off for about 2 weeks at this point.
I have a '02 Maxima and it seems to me that the SES light comes and goes as it wishes. The first two time it came on obviously I was little worried and rushed it to my dealer.
First time he did minor checks and said there was nothing majorly wrong. Second time he did some serious testing for emission leaks and things (made me pay $50 bucks) and told me that my car had a very minor leak in the emission system. He told me that I need to replace two values which would cost me about $300. But he was not completely sure if that will do the trick, so I procrastinated for a while and the light went away. It was 3-4 months ago.
Since then the SEC light comes and goes once a month or so. There is no pattern to it, though I am thinking it may be due to the outside temperature variation but I m not sure.
just my 2 cents, J

HI, I had the same problem about 6 mths ago. I checked the gas cap and it was tight. I took it to checkers for a diagnostic and received the same code as the person below. I went to the Nissan dealer and they said they'd have to run their own tests. I decided against it. It went off after I changed places I got gas. I have always used the highest octane rating no matter where I filled up. If I add a fuel additive it goes off. I have now been getting gas at Chevron and it has been off ever since. If I change and get gas where I use to it will come back on. I don't understand how it could be the gas station. Everyone I know gets gas at the same station and they don't have problems with their car. I'm sure it has to do with the car but now the light is off so I'm not sure the dealer will be able to figure out the problem. I think my gas milage is lower than it use to be. Then again with gas prices constantly increasing maybe it just seems like I'm filling up more.