can a 215/45R17 be used to replace a 225/65-17 tire

yes you need a spring compressor

be advised that replacing struts and or springs is not a job for a novice, great care needs to be taken when compressing the spring, if the spring comes loose and hits you, be prepared, it will hurt you and maybe even kill you.

I'n not trying to scare you, just informing you.

a 36mm socket and a large breaker bar and big kahonies

Reply to
NissTech

I have done springs before, but I know some of the rice burners don't require a compressor. I will be sure to pick one up when I buy the struts or maybe borrow one from AZ.

As for the drive axle, I am assuming that socket is for the spindle nut?

Thanks for all the info.

Derek

Reply to
genius

I have a 99 Maxima that had a code indicating that there was a cylinder misfire on #6. As a quick fix, I replaced all the plugs since they have 55K miles on them. The car seems to running rougher than before.

Lo and behold, today the check engine light lit again. This time it indicates a cylinder misfire on #5.

Any suggestions?

BTW, how are the cylinders numbered?

x x x

x x x

front

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Reply to
whiner

yes

Reply to
NissTech

"whiner" wrote in news:1112734813.234256.182180 @g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Did you replace the plugs with NGK? Otherwise it could be one or more of the ignition coils going bad.

Reply to
Dave Stone

make sure you used NGK plugs.

Get the code read , chances are you will have a P1320 (primary ignition signal) code along with the missfire code P0306.

you probably have a bad coil

cylinders 1 3 and 5 are closest to the firewall

2 4 and 6 are up front, closest to the radiator

Reply to
NissTech

Why is everybody pushing NGK plugs? What is so special about them?

I used Bosch Platinum 2 plugs. Is it worth replacing these new ones with the NGK?

I know the code were P1320 and P0306 the first and second time but on the third time, the codes were P1320 and P0305. If it was a bad coil, how could it move?

Just as a note, I > make sure you used NGK plugs.

ignition

Reply to
whiner

"whiner" wrote in news:1112745915.502849.244170 @g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Take a look the general consensus:

You will find most people prefer the NGK plugs vs other brands for a variety of reasons. The most important being its what Nissan uses from the factory and recommends as replacement.

Reply to
Dave Stone

Reply to
E. Meyer

I'm doing the same job right now on my 91 Maxima SE. (2 front struts and driverside axle). I got the struts off without a spring compressor, but will need it to swap spring to new strut obviously.

I'm having a problem getting the axle out of the transaxle case. Chilton's says to just pry it, but I don't have a lift and prying that hard isn't easy under the car. Anyone know how hard you should have to pry to remove it? Any tricks?

Thanks

Reply to
91max

I pried it with a 16" crowbar, it took a bit of elbow grease. A sharp movement did it, as opposed to steady pressure. Remember that you are trying to overcome a retaining clip. I put a piece of soft wood between the crowbar and the transmission case, just to be on the safe side. Another advice I've read somewhere is to take the passenger side axle out and use a long screwdriver to push out the driver's side axle through the differential. That may be an overkill, though, unless you're doing both axles. Also, try not to damage the seals.

I found

to be of great guidance while doing this job.

Reply to
Filipp Stepanov

Hello group. I need to change the transmission fluid in a 1992 Maxima but I can't seem to locate the drain plug. I have Chilton's manual but in the location it specifies for the drain plug is a female plug about 3/4" in diameter for which I'll need a wrench similar to a hex head only this plug is rectangular. I'm expecting to find a hex head drain plug similar to the drain bolt on the oil pan but I can't find one on the transmission. Where is the transmission drain plug on this vehicle?

Peace,

Pete

Reply to
Pete

Good info. As long as I can get it on a bench, I'll feel much more confident not killing myself trying to compress the spring!

I'm having a problem getting the axle out of the transaxle case. Chilton's says to just pry it, but I don't have a lift and prying that hard isn't easy under the car. Anyone know how hard you should have to

pry to remove it? Any tricks?

I'll make sure I have a sturdy prybar before starting as Filipp suggests. Thanks again for the insight!

Reply to
genius

If you mean it makes the noise only when letting the clutch out, my 99 SE has done this since new. I remember querying at the time and it seemed to be a general consensus that this was "normal" on the Maxima, possibly a design flaw, but nothing that shortened the lifespan of the clutch or caused any harm (outside of general embarassment).

So, I totally ignored it, still do to this day, and after 120,000 miles the original clutch still makes the same noise but still runs (or rather grabs, in this case) like new. I've had absolutely zero problems, slippage, or otherwise. In fact, it's been a great car altogether!

TY wrote:

Reply to
DFuddpucker

I have 87 maxima that starts but I don't have ipc lights or door or parking or horn but do have head lamps low beam and turn signals flasher anybody know whats up ?

Reply to
lewmsc

If you mean it makes the noise only when letting the clutch out, my 99 SE has done this since new. I remember querying at the time and it seemed to be a general consensus that this was "normal" on the Maxima, possibly a design flaw, but nothing that shortened the lifespan of the clutch or caused any harm (outside of general embarassment).

So, I totally ignored it, still do to this day, and after 120,000 miles

the original clutch still makes the same noise but still runs (or rather grabs, in this case) like new. I've had absolutely zero problems, slippage, or otherwise. In fact, it's been a great car altogether!

Not to steal this thread, but how loud is the trans when you let out the clutch and the car is in neutral? On a scale of 1-10 where 1 = can't hear it and 10 = same loudness as the exhaust. On my 91, it whines at least a 10 and multiple mechs have said it needs a new transmission. The previous owner said it has been doing this for that last 100k and there's 185K on it now. Still original clutch and I notice no driveability issues, just that annoying sound.

TIA,

Derek

Reply to
genius

NGK's are the plugs the vehicle was designed use.

yes

nothing moved, the first set of codes was telling you that cylinder 6 had/has a missfire do to a bad coil, the coil should have been replaced with a new one.

The second set of codes told you the same thing about cylinder number 5

This is what you need to do to fix it.

  1. install the correct NGK spark plugs, not Bosch, or Autolite or Champion use NGK !
  2. replace all the coils or replace them one at a time as the go bad

Reply to
NissTech

The drain plug is in the front and is a female 1/2" square drive plug. Use a 1/2" extension on your big ratchet drive. If you can't get it to budge, use an air impact gun set on low pressure and it should extract the plug. There is also a magnet on the plug and should all sorts of stuff on it when you take it out.

Chris

90 & 94 GXE's
Reply to
Chris H

Because they work the best.

Lets see, you installed NEW bosch platinums, the car runs WORSE and you have to ask this question?

Reply to
Steve T