405 Diesel

Hi,

I have a '91(J) 405 GRDT Estate that I believe has a charging problem. Yesterday whilst driving, I noticed a dim glow from the battery light on the dash although by the time I got home I could no longer see it. Today the battery was flat. Now with a charged battery I have no battery light but the car starts (at the mo at least).

Does this sound like the alternator has packed up? If so, I have a '90(G)

405 GLD that I am breaking. Could I use the alternator off that vehicle. I notice that the belt pulleys are different and would probably need changing over.

TIA, Tempest

Reply to
Tempest

Hi there. I had a similar problem with my 205 diesel. When the engine is running, the voltage on the battery must be around 13.8 V. When it is too low, the alternator isn't working, or the wiring is bad. That is a known french problem. Maybe the alternator or the battery has a bad ground connection. Also check the alternator for loose wiring. In my case it were the things inside the alternator that were worn out. When I translate it from dutch, they're called: carbon-brushes. They can wear out and are easily replaceble when you've got the alternator in your hand. :)

Good luck.

Greets, Jon.

"Tempest" schreef in bericht news:cftn8h$85g$ snipped-for-privacy@news8.svr.pol.co.uk...

Reply to
Jon Florijn

Hi, Thx 4 the info. Fortunately I have since solved the problem. I noticed that the oil and STOP lights were also out. Turns out that the instrument cluster is shot. Changed it for the one in my spare pug. Methinks it was something to do with the resident fieldmouse who had made a nest behind the instrument panel (judging by the chewed sponge and droppings). Looks like he pissed on the clocks! LMAO!

Tempest

Reply to
Tempest