405 Estate Turbo, fumes in coolant system

Can anyone advise as to whats causing oily smelling fumes in my coolant system ? Symptoms are : Vapour drifting off the coolant water during running of engine, big bubbles at the radiator cap, constant venting of steam at the right side cylinder head coolant outlet before it flows into the thermostat housing(the return pipe to the bottom of the rad) , I know I have a leak as the hoses leave the radiator bottom as the fittings are crap but I dont know how I could be getting the fumes in the water. ????????

-- dabber

View this thread:

Send from

dabber

Sounds like a leaky head gasket to me

Reply to
John Ricketts
"

Likewise. Maybe new cylinder head required if its been left too long? Big bucks.

Been there - You know you have a problem when the coolent vents out after a short run.

Reply to
sid

Head gasket gone.

Replace it, and hope nothing else is damaged !

Reply to
Nom

Leaky head gasket was my initial thought however I have just spent 3 weeks replacing the head gasket and the problem has not gone away ! . A mechanic friend had a look at the problem and smelt the fumes and described them as being not exhaust (diesel) gases from the head but rather hot oil fumes from the oil lubricant system. The way he put it the symptoms of the fumes and the bubbles in the coolant coupled with the smooth running of the engine indicated a breather pipe from the sump or somewhere being fed into the coolant system. Do you think its possible that the water pump is faulty and somehow gases are getting in around that area ?

-- dabber

View this thread:

Send from

dabber

Did you have the head pressure tested whilst it was removed? citroen/peugeot heads are well known for cracking behind the valves if overheated.a good garage should be able to fit a cooling system gauge to the car and tell you for definate if the head/gasket is leaking,will only cost around £20 to be tested. good luck!

Reply to
DieselMechanic