Peugeot 306 XS - Red and Green Light - Car won’t start

Hi, I?m hoping someone will be able to help me, i?ll explain what the problem is but forgive me as the history of this is quite long.

I have a problem with the immobiliser on my Peugeot 306, when i turn the ignition on, both the Red and Green light comes on on the keypad and won?t accept my 4 digit code, had a mechanic look at it and he said the ECU had locked out, so found a place that sorts out ECU?s and they said make sure it not an earth fault before sending them the ECU, so the mechanic checked and said no, there?s no earth fault!

So sent ECU to be done, came back, still the same problem, ECU place said it wasn?t ECU, so decided theres nothing else i can do but to take it to the Peugeot garage, they had a look, connected it to their computer and said they couldn?t find what it was, can only be the ECU locked out, so i sent the ECU back to the ECU repair place and they said it wasn?t the ECU and to tell your garage its ?PIN 18 - Battery supply fault?, so i did, they said they?ve completely checked everything and cannot find the fault and they still believed it was the ECU, which left me well in the s**t, a private mechanic, the agents and an ECU repair place, all these so-called experts still haven?t found what the problem is!!

Anyway, on verge of scrapping the car, i managed to get hold of a second hand ECU, keypad and code to try, which show?s up with the exact same problem which leads me to believe its not the ECU.

If there?s anyone out there that can offer me any advice or info on what to do next i would be very grateful, i?m assuming it must be an earthing problem but haven?t got a clue how to find it, cleaned up all the earthing points i can find but still no joy!

I?m about to string myself up as the car has now been out of action for over a year, so any help would be great!!

Reply to
lithium

Just as an elimination have you tried pushing the button on the fuel cut-off switch? Assuming of course you have one. You haven't mentioned the year of your car, but the very early ones didn't have them fitted. I think it was around '95 or '96 they started fitting them. I know when they are operated they give the same problem with the lights. Come to think of it, the fact you have a keypad means you almost certainly have a cut-off. I think it's on the N/S strut turret to the rear of the battery, a square device with a rubber top. If it has been activated you will hear a small click.

Reply to
Nigel

Thanks Nigel, Its a 96 and does have a cut off switch, which i have tried but wasn?t a 100% sure if it was activated or not! When pressed it does click so does that mean its activated? if it is, how to i unactivate it??

Keep the suggestions coming please folks, any ideas very welcome

"Nigel" wrote

Reply to
lithium

If it clicks when pushed it is then not activated. So it should then NOT cut off the fuel or affect the keypad lights. BUT it should only require pushing once. It should only activate when in an accident. Or if it is hit hard on the side of the unit. I haven't come across these units going wrong, but never say never!! You could try taking the cut-off out of the equation altogether by taking the connector off and pushing some thing up inside the plug to short the wires together.

Reply to
Nigel

Hi. I've had what seems exactly the same problem with my 406.Anyway the auto-electrician has towed it away and tells me it's going to cost between £350-£450 to fix.(just to make the thing run again)It's apparently a solenoid that controls the fuel pump needs bypassing,so afterwards it wont have an immobiliser. Most of the money is for labour charges getting at this thing, which peugeot have also made tamper-proof. Anyhow...Good luck, if it is the same problem,I hope you can get it done cheaper.

Reply to
patie