Revs don’t always drop?

I can be driving along and just put clutch in (say for example when you change gear) and the revs just stay the same (they won?t drop down to idle speed). So I can come up to a junction with my foot on the clutch and engine could be constant at 3 thousand revs and then after

30 seconds just decide to go down to normal?! When I start the car it idles fine at 1k? it?s a peugeot 306 sedan 1.8 petrol m reg (95) Any solutions or advice , thanks
Reply to
peter007

I have the same engine and same year in a 405. This problem is likely to be caused by a sticking idle control valve, mounted right on top of the engine on the right above the coil pack Disonnect the hoses and the wiring and give it a good clean in carb cleaner or other volatile solvent - even petrol will do. Dry off with kitchen paper and re-fit. Worked for me - sailed through it's MOT with the correct idle speed.

hth

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin