Water loss 406 D

I seem to be losing a very small amount of water from my cooling system but cannot find source of leak, would it be alright to add "Radweld" would this affect antifreeze? Grateful for any advice. Terb

Reply to
terb

Hi,

You may have a problem with your head gasket. It may have blown allowing water to leak into the cylinders or mix with the Engine Oil.

Oil turns a milky Brown when it has water added. I suggest you check the oil filler cap for light milky deposits. If you have these of the underside of the Oil Filler cap then one of the gaskets within the engine will have blown.

Richard

Reply to
RooMonster

Sorry forgot to say that radweld will not help if the problem is because of a blown seal/gasket within the engine.

I personally would not use radweld, It can cause more problems by cloging up other parts of the engine.

Reply to
RooMonster

"RooMonster" wrote: > Sorry forgot to say that radweld will not help if the problem > is > because of a blown seal/gasket within the engine. > > I personally would not use radweld, It can cause more > problems by > cloging up other parts of the engine.

My 205 did this for about a year, then it started loosing loads of water and in 3 days the engine was completely dead (metal flecks in the oil etc). I don?t know if the engines are similar at all but on the older engines coolant loss is an indicator of engine damage. Also exhaust coming up through the coolant shows the same but I don?t know how you check that on a 406.

Reply to
Streltsky

My 406 does the same, most do.....

Have a look at the bottom left of the radiator for corrosion and you may find a small corrosion leak.

Or the Intercooler may have damaged the front of the radiator.

Andy

Reply to
akd

Thanks for all your advice. Andy have looked at radiator and found some blue marks towards the bottom, could this be a sure sign of coolant leakage?

Reply to
terb

Yes it could Depends on the Anti-Freeze Used. Most leave light blue deposits around the leak.

It sounds like it could be the leak to me :)

Reply to
RooMonster