X Code 455 GTO

I will be selling an original X Code 455 '72 GTO soon, and I am trying to put together some additional info beyond the basic decoding.

I know that in 72 the "GTO" was basically a package on the LeMans, but this one seems pretty well equipped. Power windows,etc. Just curious how common these are.

Checking recent sales on E-bay I couldn't find any of the "X" cars.

Thanks in advance for any info.

CCC

Reply to
<cccentral

I must disagree with one point here, and it may show my ignorance on the subject... The GTO was a separate model in every year except 1964 (the first) and 1974 (the last). In 1972, a GTO is a GTO is a GTO (if it's a GTO). If I felt like it, I'd google it before making a fool of myself. But, it's late and I'm lazy!

OK, I lied... I checked it out, and am happy to report the above is correct, at least as it relates to the '72 model. Your GTO is more valuable if it is authentic, and that can be verified by the data plate, located on the drivers side of the cowl. If the ST code starts with "72-42...", it's a real GTO. If not, you got a Lemans that someone made look like one. Your VIN will tell you the original engine, as you probably know with your 'X' description.

Good luck with your sale!

Reply to
InjunRAIV

OK, replying to my own post... My memory is that by the time 1972 rolled around, most GTOs were option ladened shadows of their muscle car heritage. So while having those options makes your car more valuable than not having them, probably nothing you have is rare, unless it is a convertible. I don't have a good source at hand for actual production numbers, but I'm sure with a little diligence on your part you can find out how many 455 GTOs there were (I'm guessing most of them were 455s - the gas crunch didn't happen until '73)

Then again, in 1972 I was 8... ;)

::snip::

Reply to
InjunRAIV

Apparently about 340 455 X code 4 speed cars.

Most of the '72s were 400 V8 cars. Still checking.

Thanks CCC

Reply to
<cccentral

I'm sure that you'll be listing it in our NewsGroup, as you do with all your cars!

Reply to
StingRay

I got the PHS back on this one. Turns out to be one of 310.

455 HO 4 Spd M22 12 Bolt A/C P/W Power Disc brakes

Pretty happy with that!

CCC

Reply to
<cccentral

"StingRay" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@rogers.com:

In "Our" newsgroup? I participate in many newsgroups as well as in the national collector car community.

In the last year I have kept over 100 "project" level cars out of the crusher and found people who want to restore them. Do You think I am getting RICH selling project cars??? I do this because I love these cars and want to see them preserved.

Sorry if I am not welcome in "Our" newsgroup. If that is the case, I won't post here again.

Sincerely L. C. Mixon President Collector Car Central LLC

Reply to
Collector Car Central

"Collector Car Central" wrote in message news:Xns96C5EA9F7E0DCCC@38.119.71.210...

Selling cars isn't easy, is it? That's presumably why you choose to perpetuate the stereotype of the "Used Car Salesman". I'm sure you are as much of a nuisance in the other newsgroups and in the collector car community.

We know only too well the number of cars you have tried to flog in this newsgroup. I think I've read all 100 ads!

I don't know, nor do I care if you are "getting rich". You must be earning a living from it, since you are posting throughout the web on a constant basis. It certainly seems to be your fulltime job.

We all love cars in here but we don't all use the Group as our personal bulletin board for selling our wares. All you have ever posted in here is:

1) queries about details of cars you have in your possession and 2) For Sale signs. Once we help you determine what you own, you use our information to try to sell the cars to us.

Well L.C., don't let the screen door hit your ass as you leave. ;-)

Reply to
StingRay

"StingRay" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@rogers.com:

Reply to
Collector Car Central

"Collector Car Central"

Nonsense snipped

Commercial spammers are never welcome. That is a given in any NG yet you feign innocence.

Reply to
FBR