New CEO to tackle smaller entry-level Porsche as first challenge

Porsche is facing decline sales of the Boxster and Cayman models. Sales in those lower segments will have to expand if Porsche is to meet its goal of selling

150,000 units per year by 2013. Read More:

----------------------------------- Porsche NewsHub: Latest auto news sourced from websites, portals and blogs

sjmmail2000-247

Porsche is facing decline sales of the Boxster and Cayman models. Sales in those lower segments will have to expand if Porsche is to meet its goal of selling

150,000 units per year by 2013. Read More:

----------------------------------- Porsche NewsHub: Latest auto news sourced from websites, portals and blogs

sjmmail2000-247

The last "affordable" Porsche was the 914, which was initially available with enhanced VW running gear or as a 6 cyl with Porsche running gear. The problem with the 914-6 was that it was less than $1,000 less than the 911T of its day. Having driven mostly Porsches for almost 40 years, I've watched as the driveout price of a new 911 rose from a bit less than $10K to almost $100K. You can really see how much the factory has inflated the new car prices (remember that Porsche is the most profitable car mfr.) is the now significant 2-3 year depreciation that has powered the growth of the slightly pre-owned market. Other than some lighting and the PDK transmission, the 2010 Carreras and S's are basically unchanged since the

2005 model year. A year ago, I purchased a 2006 Carrera-S, with only 13K miles...with a few extra useful options...for @ $48K. The original sticker was @ $90K and the 2010 version would have been just shy of $100K....maybe.

It will, therefore, be interesting to see what direction this new ex-VW executive gives to the design and development staff. Obviously, there's a huge VW-Audi parts bin to dip into and the 50,000 foot vision is that this is the only way that we're going to see a 2012-2014 "affordable" Porsche...something with a real base price of less than $40K (meaning that it's not a totally stripped puppy) is to raid this cache. Honestly, I'm not too enthused as we see something attractive...such as the VW CC design...with a 2.0L turbo, selling for @ $30K. On the other hand, I'm getting a bit long of tooth these days, and shuttling older relatives and grandchildren has changed my daily driver. If I had that extra garage stall, there'd be a 2003+ Boxster-S in there for weekend romps and PCA events.

Oh...for you younger Porsche enthusiasts: There's also some inter-family history that's seeping into the management of Porsche these days as Dr. Piech, the brother-in-law of Dr. Ferry Porsche and the Chairman of Audi-VW, has had a long running feud with the Porsche side of the family. Last year's failed attempt by Dr. Wendekin (Porsche CEO) and Peter Porsche to gain control of Audi-VW didn't do anything thing but add fuel to this fire. So...consider the pre-owned option and watch the next couple of year's antics in the Fatherland.

Guru