Metro 1.1 poor acceleration

Hello to all

I have a really curious problem with a 1.1 carb metro.

It idles sweetly, revs OK when stood still but will not pull

Acceleration is OK in first but in second it will accelerate to about 20 and then wont go any faster, 3rd gear and 4th gear are the same.

If I ease off the accelerator it will slowly accelerate but it has no poke. It's almost as if the engine cannot get rid of the exhaust gases fast enough but the exhaust pipe seems to be clear. The harder I press on the accelerator the slower it will accelerate.

I thought it might be timing but that seems to be OK

There is no air intake blockage as the problem persists even with no air filter in place.

The car has been running very sweetly until this happened.

Any suggestions gratefully received or do I just drive it in to the canal????

Thanks

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Hall

check the obvious first, air filter, spark plugs+lead's does it have points ? check those too, dizzy cap rotor arm.

a weak ignition system will still let the engine run well untill it is put under load.

Reply to
ajsmith

Don't forget the capacitor in the distributor as well. I had a similar problem with a roots car many many years ago it would accelerate up to 70mph and no more. After changing the capacitor car would accelerate to full speed.

Bruce.

Reply to
Bruce Varney

Hello,

I have a very similiar problem with a Nissan Micra (please excuse my language)

If would run fine but when you drive, it would rev to a certain point and then stop, if you tried to accelerate anymore you started slowing down.

After many changes of part, in the end i bought a replacement engine from a local scrappy. Got it swapped.....same issue.

It truned out that the exhaust back box had colapsed inside and the pressure build up was causing the revving issue.

This may not be relevent to your problem, however when all else its worth checking the exhaust system if yof fine nothing else,

Cheers

vert

Reply to
vertuas

Hello to all again

I don't know if this is the cause yet but current thinking is that the catalytic converter has failed and is blocking the exhaust.

All other checks have so far failed to reveal the problem and I am able to confirm that the coil is providing a very good spark as my fingers will testify.

Will advise when I change the front pipe tomorrow

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Hall

before you spend cash, just loosen the pipe off, yes it will be noisy and rough but you should see an improvement if it is blocked.

Reply to
ajsmith