1990 c900 has clunking sound behind the driver when starting from a standstill

Bouys & gulls, My 1990 c900T (2-door hardtop, 110k miles) makes a single "clunk" noise very often when I let out the clutch, starting from a stop in first gear. It sounds like something is happening w/ the left rear suspension. It's not a terrible noise, but it's almost always there, and it would be nice if I could eliminate it. Ideas? Thanks. Dennis

Reply to
dcathey

in article m2nQb.25527$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net, dcathey at snipped-for-privacy@ix.netcom.com wrote on 24/01/2004 05:05:

I think you're describing what my '89 900T8 does. My NS front door is slightly out of true and I think the inline engine coupled with the torque of a high gear twists the body shell slightly. The popping noise which (on closer inspection) seems to come from the seatbelt column echoes in the rear portion of the car. I can also get this clunking noise in other gears when driving in a "sporty manner", but my gearbox is a little jumps of late.

It would still be worth jacking the back corner up and taking a look at the suspension as a "just in case".

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday