Saab looking to stay with GM

Hmmm...I believe people in these situations always say things for a reason.

So why would Jonsson says this? Does he really want to stay under GM? That is, he must see benefits to sticking with GM. Or is he really expecting Saab to be sold off and so this press statement could just be a little window into Saab for any prospective buyers.

- tex

Reply to
Tex

With the next generation of SAABS being re-badged Opels why bother maintaining a SAAB brand? Would anyone want to buy SAAB?

Dan

Reply to
dan

in article snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com, Tex at snipped-for-privacy@aspam101.org wrote on 13/01/2006 14:12:

Do we know any interested parties, for definite? I have heard that BMW and Porsche were "interested", but I am more inclined to believe the story I heard about Renault/Volvo being a more likely candidate.

What have you read, or heard about, Tex?

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

in article ntUxf.31508$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.rdc-kc.rr.com, snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com at snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com wrote on 13/01/2006 20:55:

... Or, are Opels re-badged SAABs? I don't think it is as simple as that nowadays, what with so much collaborated technology, but distinct design and engineering.

The Vauxhall/Opel Vectra was definitely a better car than the NG900 which shared the same platform and had many common/crossover parts. Personally, I see the new crop of Vauxhall/Opel being as good as SAAB, but without the perceived "Marque" status. I wouldn't buy either, personally, but I don't really like new cars ... Forced, I would go for a 9-3SS.

I think there will be a lot of interested parties for a number of reasons, although I wonder how easy SAAB and Opel can be separated. Who gets rights to the shared technologies?

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

Hmmm...Volvo is a Ford/Mazda subsid. and most of the Volvos are coming out on Mazda frames these days.... I couldn't see GM selling Saab to Ford and giving them more of the luxury/near luxury market (but to think..Saab, Volvo and Jaguar in the same family!?!)

Personally, I can't see Ford adding Saab to the family when they have Volvo and besides, could you imagine a mazda based Saab?

Michael H.

Reply to
Michael Halliwell

Just stop it with the talking about any sale, period. We've been hearing about these stupid rumors for years now, ridiculous. I really feel bad for Saab because they have to rebuke all of this stupid news from these people that own a lot of GM stock communicating their "ideals".

Let's move forward, the more we talk about any sale, the bad that is for Saab. If you are truly part of the "Saab" team, you will just try to talk about positive news and keep the spirit no matter what happens.

SG

Reply to
SG

Perhaps GM could give Saab to Toyota in hopes that it does for Toyota what Jaguar has done for Ford ;-)

However, from a cold, calculating perspective it might be in GM's interest to move the Saab factories to China, get the Chinese to build & buy Saabs.

Keep the design, engineering and profits in the North and have lower cost Saabs for the Chinese and the rest of the world... Might as well be GM/Saab as Audi.... This would take excess capacity out of Europe and help expand the Chinese auto market. Heck, move Ferrari/Fiat down too, its not like the quality could go down.

We've gotta get the Chinese buying our expensive goods and that won't happen until we flood their markets with mid-priced goods :-)

Ain't going to happen I know, but it's nice to dream. Just imagine A new loaded 9-5 for $12,000

Reply to
joe schmoe

Doesn't he mean this Volvo:

, the truck/bus/construction/marine company? I don't think Ford owns it, just like GM doesn't own Saab AB the aerospace company. Someone, somewhere indicated that Volvo has regretted selling the automotive division.

Reply to
saabyurk

Hehe, in that case Ford will make Volvo cars from Mazda parts. And Volvo (Saabs old foe) will Make Saab cars from GM parts.

Reply to
Johannes

That would be great, then we'll have Saabs with Ford engines again.

Reply to
MH

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
SmaartAasSaabr

Despite Kerkorians pleas to ditch Saab, Wagoner wants to keep Saab and develop it, which ultimately, is the best solution.

I hear a lot of this "sell it to Ford so they do it like Jaguar". Jaguar hasn't turned a profit, well, ever in the Ford era, and Ford has piled a lot of cash into it. And for that investment you have a lineup of cars that aren't exactly lighting the marketplace on fire. And a rebadged Mondeo!

Toyota is not "into" buying carmakers. An occasional association of sharing technologies, but not all-out purchases.

I doubt BMW would ever want to touch another carmaker after the Rover fiasco!

Ford is in enough "deep doo doo" as it is, they won't even go near Saab anyway.

Reply to
SmaartAasSaabr

Well you're right about Ford being in "deep doo doo". After re branding Jaguar a gay "man's" Mondeo with the corresponding sale margin figures it seems like they are sitting around saying "Gee I wonder how THAT could have happened?"

Toyota's focus on cars instead of emprie building does seem to have positively affected it's bottom line. Though Mercedes has demonstrated that enough success can lead to delusions of management's skill.

But as for BMW having been burnt by Rover.... I would hazard a guess that the UK Gov't's handouts and Mini & Land Rover's subsequent success eases the pain "somewhat".

Reply to
joe schmoe

There are a few Chinese auto manufacturers with enough cash to purchase Saab outright. There is a large aspirational market in Asia and quality is not as important as branding. A Geely made Saab would be something.

Reply to
ShazWozza

Land Rovers subsequent success with Ford must be painful for BMW or do you mean by using a BMW engine in the Freelander Ford are still buying something from BMW?.

Reply to
John Hudson

in article snipped-for-privacy@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com, SmaartAasSaabr at snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote on 14/01/2006 21:53:

Slightly off-topic, but I was reading on Jalopnik that BMW are going to "do a Mini" on the Triumph brand that they acquired with the assorted box of Rover gubbins. I wonder if they'll re-do a Spitfire? :)

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

Hello, its me again.

I was reading an article about Chevy and its price discounts, and in it they mentioned that Saab was the only GM marque to actually pick up market share in North America last year. Not sure how much, but if it keeps up I am sure GM will hold on to the brand.

Also, Volvo Trucks are made by Scania. Yep, when ford bought Volvo cars and GM Saab, Scania merged with Volvo to form Volvo-Scania.

Its a weird world.

Jeremy

Reply to
Jeremy Brown

Could be but, with all the styling talents of BMW behind it, I bet it ends up looking like an Acclaim...

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

The only rumored news clips I've read recently focused only on Renault (not Volvo). But this is not a likely scenario. Saabs largest foreign market is North America...where there exists a general disdain for French cars.

IMHO, a more likely scenario, albeit less appealing, is one in which GM would sell off what is left of Saab to a Chinese manufacturer. Whoever purchases Saab would have to assume the burden of actually manufacturing the cars...as they won't be able to use Russelheim, unless done under contract. I suppose Trollhatten could be used, but would most likely require revamping for the new epsilon 2 platform (the designs for which GM would most likely have to include as part of any sale). Or of course the chinese maufacturers own facility.

- tex

Reply to
Tex

Spitfire would be cool. Compete with the Solstice and MX5.

Dan

Reply to
dan