temp fix for sagging headliner

Is there a good temporary fix for the annoying sagging headliner? It started in the back near the hatch of my '86 900 and slowly worked its way to just behind the front seats, now big enough to hang low enough to be visable in the rearview mirror.

I've thought about of sliting the cloth near the hatch and applying an aerosol glue to the backing and pressing it up. The other plan is just to pin it to the backing with straight pins until I decide to do a permanent recover job.

Anybody do such a quick fix? Thanks

--Paul

Reply to
P K

NAPA stores sell a black plastic "headliner retainer" in packs of

4 or 5, that work very well. It's a coarse screw that goes through the fabric and into the fiberglass shell.

It would look like crap and work for only a short time. Voice of experience here, trust me on this one.

Hope this helps (I need some myself, come to think of it)

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Bloody big sunroof - better than temporary. We had a full length Britax in a 76 99 combi. Brilliant night driving car. Headlining never sagged again! Cheers

Reply to
hippo

We just pinned ours up with haberdashery pins. Looks pretty crap but to be honest I haven't even noticed it since it was done.

Sam

Reply to
Sam

in article snipped-for-privacy@uni-berlin.de, Dave Hinz at snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net wrote on 28/10/2004 02:52:

Yeah, don't bother I used to recommend this method ... Until it sagged

*again* :(

Sewing pins seem to work alright, as long as you push them in with confidence and leave them. In your case, pull the headlining back to the recess above the rear seats and tack in there towards the top of the recess. Smooth along the top of the recess and tack up at the rear (perhaps the sides, too). Smoothing the excess right to the top of the boot, tack again there.

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

Hey, just find the $100 and be done with this...

Reply to
Valjean

Bugger that, $100 for a non essential job on a $300 car which might need $250 worth of work to get through its next MOT :-)

Sam

Reply to
Sam

in article snipped-for-privacy@uni-berlin.de, Sam at snipped-for-privacy@apatchofsun.com wrote on 28/10/2004 17:55:

That's the spirit! Bodge it - tack it up with pins. If it cost that little, just run it into the ground and love it. It's all part of the character anyway and a lot of jobs on old SAABs have a story behind the ingenuity which fixes a problem.

For the MOT, if you think it needs welding, wire brush the sills, paint the underside in hammerite, fibreglass fill in anything you can poke with a screwdriver and use a lot of bitumin to underseal it. After a couple of a weeks it all looks like it's been there forever :)

Engine-wise, do a mini-service on the ignition electrics (sparks, rotor arm, car & leads), get the timing right and then lean it out slightly. Old SAABs are good cars; and a lot better than a lot of MOT "successes" that are out on public roads - I have no problem doing this kind of thing. Remember, the environmental impact of producing one new car outweighs us all running our old SAABs for the next 10 years :)

I had a 285 quid 1985 model 900i and loved it. It was seriously rotten, but had a great heart ... I miss that car :(

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

I tried the spray glue method - didn't work.

I used a big curved sewing needle and "quilted" the headliner back up.

Reply to
ma_twain

Thanks for all the advice. I think I'll go with the pins.

--Paul

Reply to
P K

I used Staples in in a hand staple gun (like you use for pinning notices to boards).

Worked great looked messy if you looked for it, but normally not noticable, and a damned site easier on the hands than trying to push pins in. I planned it to be temporary, but it stayed there over a winter and summer until I sold the car, and only had to restaple one place after the old ones came loose. As they are metallic too, easy to spot for removal when you do a proper replace if you choose to.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

use map pins - they've worked for over 5 years on one of my 9k's

Reply to
cs