Automatic transmission

What is the difference between the gears you can put a car in? For example you have 2, 3, 4 but what are they and when/why should you use each one?

Yes it is a serious Q. Unusual I know for an adult but I speant hardly any time around cars growing up so what seems obvious maybe to some is not to me. I have gathered as much that certain gears should be used in certain conditions like, going up/downhill, city traffic, etc but not any detail.

Thanks in advance.

BTW can I assume D is 1 and also when should N be used?

Reply to
Dakota Mon

If you have your manual, it does a good job of explaining the automatic gear selections. I assume that you have only driven manual? for towingD is normal drive gear, N is Neutral for rolling the car out of gear, ex: being towed. The other drive gears are for a lower ratio, primarily used for towing trailers over and down very steep hills, not for normal driving at all. If you dont have a manual, pop on in to your local Saturn dealer and ask if they have a spare manual for your exact year and model.

marx404

Reply to
marx404