bent valves on 95 SL1

I just bought (as is) a 95 SL1. I won't bore you with the long story (involving my own 95 SL2, a hail storm, 3 states and Ebay :). The happy ending is that my own beloved SL2 no longer has hail damage!

Back to the SL1 (SOHC) - it has 99K miles and bent valves.

I want to know:

1) What might cause bent valves? 2) Is it commom in Saturns? 3) Should I worry about it in my SL2 (DOHC)?

Thanks! Sandra

Reply to
Sandra Ries

The only thing that really causes the valves to get bent is if the timing chain either breaks or get so loose that the chain skips a couple teeth on the sprocket. Generally this doesn't happen without warning(clattering sound of the chain getting loose). So I wouldn't worry about it until you hear some weird noises.

Jamie

Reply to
BANDIT2941