Redline ION SCC article

Hey Jonnie (and everyone else here) last we talked was about the article in May Sport Compact Car Mag about the ION Redline Road Test. Had a chance to read the article yet?

Tonight I re-read it and gained some insight. SCC is a hardcore lot, if it aint F&F material, they dis on it. Althought they made comparisons to an unnamed obviously base model ION 1, they also gave very good remarks about the Redline.

One thing that struck me that the SCC writers don't get IMHO, is that the Redline is still a Saturn, it's not a Honduh. It is based on the QC, which means a sports car with lower insurance rates b/c it has 4 doors, which is a very good thing, as well as inheriting sports car features including a supercharger and yet still be a very safe car.

Also, the rev limiter bugged them because they couldn't push the motor to almost throwing a rod point. Too bad, but maybe they missed the point of the rev limiter which makes the Redline ION bombproof, or better yet, F&F wannabe proof and still a fun to drive and reliable car too.

Reply to
marx404

Well I finally got to the store and picked up their last copy of SCC mag. Scott Oldham certainly didn't pull any punches and citing the Recaro fronts as two great things about the car only hints about how the rest of the article plays out. Specifically citing the basic ION as one of the most disappointing cars they'd ever driven, and later on referring to Saturn's task of transforming "that hemorrhoid of a car" into a more competitive vehicle with the likes of a Sentra SE-R, RSX Type-S, etc. is probably more true than not. Of course for maybe 80% of the folks want a grocery getter with a little more go, Oldham's words are too strong. I agree about SCC being hardcore - and that's a good reference point to gauge the writing from.

On a plus note, the fact they'd rather drive the Redline over a Honda Civic Si and the comment about "driving the snot out of this car, and it didn't seem to mind." is nice to hear.

Saturn's image is very confusing to me today. And I don't know what I want in a car anymore either. Driving in the city with lots of traffic and lots of goofy drivers is putting the kibosh on my enthusiasm.

Reply to
Jonnie Santos

quote "Saturn's image is very confusing to me today. And I don't know what I want in a car anymore either. Driving in the city with lots of traffic and lots of goofy drivers is putting the kibosh on my enthusiasm."

Ya, I hear you. But exactly that is what got me to like the Saturn in the first place. No more door dings from idiots, Good gas mileage and a reliable a/c when stuck in traffic. A high safety rating. Power to keep up or ahead of traffic, and lots of amenities in a cheap car. Decent road handling. Add in a supercharger, even better handling and ground effects and what's not to be enthused about? :-) so when you get out of traffic jams and on open road, all is forgiven.

In the 18-25 yr old SCC Mag world, it is nice to see Saturn finally make the grade. I'm curious why they went with a ecotec 2.0 instead of the standard

2.2, but who knows what will happen with the second year of the Redline? Im hoping for the better and more improvements. If I can get a car with all that for under $20K, I'm enthused!!!

I would even settle for putting an Eaton roots supercharger in my 1.9. SL2 if I could afford it. marx404

Reply to
marx404

Please excuse the dumb question -- what are F&F wannabes?

thanks mh

Reply to
Matt Hayden

Never a dumb question - I'm thinking F&F wannabe's is referring to the movie(s) The Fast and the Furious.

Reply to
Jonnie Santos