Tires for '99 SL2?

My wife's 99 SL2 is coming due for tires. Does anyone have any thoughts? We *will* get wider-than-stock tires, but we're looking for something that has a nice balance between ride and handling. We drive from the Bay Area to LA or Oregon once in a while (Route 5 Express), so low highway noise would be good, too.

Any recommendations?

TIA

mh

Reply to
Matt Hayden

Michelin X 1's.

Don't know if they are available in the US or not. I'm in Canada and that's what I use on my SL2. Excellent handling tire and really nice ride too. Also a pretty quiet tire. Perhaps a little on the pricey side, but worth it in my opinion.

Cheers!

Reply to
Glomis

Michelin = French owned, nuff said.

Cooper = American owned. 90% or better American made, rest made in Japan.

Goodyear = Layed off Americans, production sent over sea's by bean counting CEO's.

Hmmm.... Give me a set of Coopers any day. Best riding tires I've ever owned and I dont have to feel ashamed of them.

Reply to
Blah Blah

Yeah, well...Like I said in my reply - I live in Canada...so France, US, Japan - They are all foreign countries to me. In fact I know that the Michelin's I bought are actually made in Canada - So I hardly feel ashamed of them. Besides the poster asked for a recommendation on tires - not foreign policy.

:-)

Blah Blah wrote:

Reply to
Glomis

Express),

Continental ContiExtremeContact.

Reply to
Napalm Heart

Unfortunately, the products people buy, no matter what country you live in comingle somewhat.

If a person dosen't like a paticular country's foregin policy or whatever, that person would probably not buy that product depending on where it is made.

For example, I do not purchase products from Canada or France, and many more!

Reply to
<anonymous

Well Canada IIRC was devided into parts controlled by both the British and the French empires. If you live in a once British controlled territory then you shouldn't mind a little French bashing and boycotting. ;-)

Reply to
Blah Blah

All this is true. However, I generally don't boycott products from a particular country...not even American products!

Reply to
Glomis

You don't buy products from Canada? What's the matter? You don't like quality built, reasonably priced, attractive, long-lasting products? LOL

All jokes aside, I'd imagine that it's virtually impossible for an American to NOT buy Canadian-made products and vice versa given that the two countries are each other's largest trading partners. While the shirt you just bought may be made in the US, chances are that the buttons were made in Canada - and probably the plastic packaging it's in too. The tags were probably made from Canadian pulpwood. The fuel used to ship it from the manufacturer to you may have come from Canada too. In fact, I bet the material used to make the shirt was shipped to the US from Asia through a Canadian port. Sorry to burst your bubble!

So, to all the Americans out there buying Canadian-made products, we Canadians thank you for your support!! Especially you "Anonymous"!

Cheers!

Reply to
Glomis

What about Firestone ?

ron

94 SL1
Reply to
Ron Herfurth

Firestone is a subsidiary of Bridgestone which is based in Japan. They employ a lot of people in the US, Canada, and a bunch of other places. After those problems they had a few years back with their tires I'm not to keen on them.

Reply to
Blah Blah