Vestigial fog lamps - ION

Hi. The "fog lights" on my ION seem virtually useless for any purpose other than daytime running lights (in addition to the yellows) and adding that "look" to fill unused space in the air dam.

Anyone have any tips on what I can do to make them functional driving lights or functional fog lights? Anyone have any particular success with a replacement blub of any sort?

Thanks!

-e

Reply to
NoSetFine
2003 ION3

I partly agree that the 'fog lights' are a dam filler, but they do spread some light to the curbs that is missing from the main headlights. The yellow lamps are lit for daytime running lights. (Why not white lamps?)

One thing is that they do not stay on for the next time out: one has to press the switch again. This is an inconvenience. My Chrysler's fog lamps come on each time the other lights are on.

Reply to
Chris Seal

I've been looking into what to replace them with myself......not very enthusiastically obviously since I haven't done it yet. I'm actually planning on replacing the main headlight bulbs with some of the brighter kind and want to find some fog lamp bulbs that are stronger as well. If I find something I'll let you know. If you find something first post it here please :)

Charles

Reply to
Charles Paluda

They are Fog lights. They are not intended for use as driving lights. Installing brighter bulbs will make them annoying lights, since they don't have the right sort of pattern for driving lights. If you have a need for driving lights, but some good ones. Don't try to make a silk purse out of a sows ear.

Regards,

Ed White

NoSetF> Hi.

Reply to
C. E. White

The lights are intended as fog lights. There is not a reason to run them all the time. One of the reason the fog lights installed in US cars are so crappy is becasue American don't understand the concept of Fog Lights. They treat them like "see me - I am sooooo special lights" and annoy the heck out of millions of motorists. Grow up and use them as intended. If you need driving lights, install them and use them when appropriate - not in heavy traffic.

Regards,

Ed White

Chris Seal wrote:

Reply to
C. E. White

Reply to
teem

I've used the fog lights on my 1994 Saturn SW2 a total of about 10 times (if that) in the last 10 years. They're only useful in heavy fog.

- Dan

Reply to
danco

Oh pooh-pooh to all you "they're fog lights so use them as fog lights." That's like saying a car is just transportation... so take the bus.

For many, a car is a statement, a toy, a piece of art... fog lights, tinted windows, those ridiculous LED wiper washer things (sorry - personal opinion slipped in there) - it's where the word "accessory" was born from: "Something nonessential but desirable that contributes to an effect or result." Nonessential but desireable... yeah. That's it.

My fog lights are one of my prized accessories. At the moment, they just suck. Sylvania is, however, allegedly building a fog light blub into their new "Silverstar" line of HID-imitations. Unfortunately, it's the 880. Ours is the 881. Anyone have a 90-degree halogen adapter plug...?

-e

Reply to
NoSetFine

Try NAPA as a replacement part for the plug.

Reply to
<mcben