'01 2.5L Outback Oxygen Sensor Help

My check engine light is on and the computer is saying deptartment 1 (engine dept I assume), sensor 1 (?) oxygen sensor is out. I think I found it on the passenger side before the catalytic converter, but don't have a book to confirm. Anyone replaced this part before? I have ramps and a set of tools. I can see the sensor, but is this something I can do myself? Cheapest replacement part is about $150 online. - any other suggestions for finding a low cost oxygen sensor? Need to know if I am looking at the right sensor and opinoins on if I can swap out myself. Thanks for the help.

Reply to
jgleason51

Usually they are named either something like HO2S11&HO2S12 if you have 4 cylinders and one muffler or HO2S11,12,21,22 if you have 2 mufflers. Some documents name it "bank1 - sensor 1". It's the same.

Replacement for Subaru usually pretty expensive. What I did with my car - I purchased "universal" Oxygen sensor - it's exactly the same sensor, but it has open wires and no connector. But it comes with some kind of connectors you use to join the connector from your old sensor to your new sensor. I paid for universal sensor 52$ (free shipping), when cheapest "OEM" was 92$. Same Bosch brand. And honestly, difference in the installation does not cost

40$ difference...

(engine dept I assume), sensor 1 (?) oxygen sensor is out. I think I found it on the passenger side before the catalytic converter, but don't have a book to confirm. Anyone replaced this part before? I have ramps and a set of tools. I can see the sensor, but is this something I can do myself? Cheapest replacement part is about $150 online. - any other suggestions for finding a low cost oxygen sensor? Need to know if I am looking at the right sensor and opinoins on if I can swap out myself. Thanks for the help.

Reply to
Guest

Reply to
Edward Hayes

dept I assume), sensor 1 (?) oxygen sensor is out. I think I found it on the passenger side before the catalytic converter, but don't have a book to confirm. Anyone replaced this part before? I have ramps and a set of tools. I can see the sensor, but is this something I can do myself?

If you can see it, not a problem. I paid to have a couple done on one car, because I couldn't see two out of 3 of them. The third I could see from below.

I recommend using an O2 sensor socket. I did one without it and decided it's worth the $15.

Reply to
David

good prices here:

(engine dept I assume), sensor 1 (?) oxygen sensor is out. I think I found it on the passenger side before the catalytic converter, but don't have a book to confirm. Anyone replaced this part before? I have ramps and a set of tools. I can see the sensor, but is this something I can do myself? Cheapest replacement part is about $150 online. - any other suggestions for finding a low cost oxygen sensor? Need to know if I am looking at the right sensor and opinoins on if I can swap out myself. Thanks for the help.

Reply to
Daniel