'99' Legacy sed. front differential dipstick O-Ring (defective)

I have a 1999 Legacy L Sedan 2.2 which apparently has a defective O-Ring on the differential dipstick which is causing differential oil to seep upwards and into the engine compartment (which then burns off on the catalytic converter). This started happening when the weather got down to 10 degrees farenheit.

Anyone else ever have this problem with the O-Ring on the dipstick ?

Reply to
X-Eliminator

When I changed my front Differential on my 2000 Forester I noticed the o-ring has no resistance when the dip-stick is seated. It looks like a metric or odd-ball so probably dealer is the only way to go Mr. X. If you find one and get the size post back to this thread as I want to fix mine to, eddie

Reply to
Edward Hayes

That's exactly the problem - no resistance between the inside of the tube and the o-ring which seems to be causing an oil leak.

It probably is a metric o-r>When I changed my front Differential on my 2000 Forester I noticed the

Reply to
X-Eliminator

Subaru sells the O-Ring separately for $1.53

I have a 1999 Legacy L sedan 2.2 and the Subaru part number for that part is: 806910030