'99 OBS - rear tire clearance problem

With my old tires I would occasionally "bottom out" when going over a dip at higher speeds. It was so seldom that I didn't worry about it. Now, with my new Goodyear Triple-Treads, it happens much too often....bumps, dips, extra weight in the car. What's happening is that the bottom of the coil spring assembly is rubbing the inside tread of the tire. Even though I bought the same size as what I had, the tire seems a little wider, plus the fact that there's more new tread now. I should also mention that they're aftermarket wheels, and I don't know what their offset is. So.....what's going on? Worn Struts? Can I buy some type of bracket/spacer to get more clearance? Maybe some type of wheel spacer to move the wheel/tire out farther? I looked at some lift kits that spread out the spring coils, but I don't think that will help any since it's the bottom of the spring that's hitting the tire. Any ideas??????

TIA, Rick

Reply to
rick

I would suspect your aftermarket wheels. The suspension on my '99 Outback with 109k miles has gotten quite soft and still doesn't bottom out with new tires.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

You need some wheel spacers. I recommend the high quality H&R units available here

and elsewhere. Get the thinnest that will do the job...next time get the correct wheel. TG

Reply to
TG

Reply to
Onne

if you don't know the offset then changes are it's probably wrong.

and you cannot rely on the people who sold you the wheels to give you the correct offset.

the wrong offset will also adversely affect handling.

Subaru is a higher offset then just about everything else out there.

snipped-for-privacy@canada.com

Reply to
330xi