Best Rated threads in Subaru Cars Forumshow all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Impreza and wind noise
Hi, I've got a '96 Impreza HX, and at anything over about 70k, it's getting a lot of wind noise from the front passenger window. It seems to be coming from the very front apex of the window, where the...

Forester High Pitch Noise
I have a 2003 Forester with about 37,000 miles on it and it has been trouble free. I live in the Cleveland, OH area and our weather here lately has produced temperatures between +2 to +15 degrees...
3
3

removing OnStar from Outbacks?
I've noticed that a few of the H6 Outback models come standard with OnStar. My question is, how possible/easy is it to remove it from one of these models? Is it a similar level of effort to removing...
10
10

Powerless door actuator
Just got the remotes (key FOBs) for my 96 Legacy GT (from and programmed them to the base unit using the directions. The problem is, I can clearly hear the door actuator do something but it doesn't...
1
1

5 mph rear bumper test
Well without prior knowledge a kind stranger elected me to participate in a 5mph rear bumper collision test. I was stopped for a good 10-12 seconds when the 'test' happened. The test vehicles were a...
4
4

Reseal my engine or buy rebuilt?
I have a dealer estimate of about $2k for a complete engine reseal...all seals and gaskets, including the head gasket (which has a small coolant leak). About 1600 of this is labor. An independent...
11
11

Peter Solberg Pirelli Baseball Cap - Where can I get one?
During 2003 rally Peter had a Pirell / 555 subaru cap that was black on front with yellow PIRELLI sign and blue on both sides with yellow subaru logos and on the rim he had a number "7". I searched...

2001 Legacy B4 Questions
Hi all I've just bought a Japanese Import 2001 Subaru Legacy B4 two litre twin turbo here in New Zealand. It's a metalic sandstone colour and is completely stock. I have a few questions.... 1. Should...
4
4

'04 Forester XT oil consumption redux
Well, I checked oil level again (actually, three times), and concluded that I may have not had the dipstick pushed quite all the way down in earlier checks; OR, engine temp may have been different....
1
1

damn! head gasket at less than 60000 miles?
my wife's 2000 outback has had a slow coolant leak for a little bit. i finally took it in today. it's a head gasket. the car has barely any mileage (i consider 60k a joke.) is this common? man, i...
6
6

1992 SVX How to Tell if AWD is working
Hello, We had our first snowstorm in the northeast this weekend and this is the first time my daughter has taken out her SVX (bought during the summer) in snow. It did very poorly - not as good as a...
2
2

Impreza squealing noise while driving
hi, i have this squealing noise (slight lower pitch than the brake squealing noise) since i bought the car, and i have brought the car in to a Subaru dealer twice but they came back saying nothing's...
2
2

Are Hercules Polar Trax Tires any good?
I need an economical set of winters for my 99 Legacy Outback and I was recommended Hercules Polar Trax by a local dealer. Are these tires any good? I live in Ontario and will be driving to the ski...
2
2

Forester MY00 Tailgate Noisy Help
Hi, I have been told the reason my tailgate on my Forester creaks is that the top hinges need adjusting. Does anyone know the correct procedure for this ?? I have already lubed the latches on either...
3
3

Outback Cargo net mounting instructions
Hi, Picked up a cargo net from my Subaru dealer for my 2001 VDC wagon. Instructions say I have to drill holes for upper attachment hooks. Unfortunately, the plans don't match the physical layout of my...
5
5

should I change gear oil after burning the clutch (2002 wrx)?
I smell the clutch burned when backing up a hill. This happened a few times. Should I change the transmission oil? This is for a 2002 manual shift WRX. Sometimes it has the cold clutch shudder, but I...
2
2

Oil filters--a Fram story
Hi, As we all know, Fram oil filters have taken a beating here and in several other venues the last couple of years. Whether they deserve it or not, I'm not sure. I DO know that my Subie likes OEM...
18
18

Forester Wiper question - MIST?
I have an 02 Forester that I recently bought and have a question about the wiper. There is a setting on the wiper stalk which says MIST PULL and shows a little graphic of what I take to be the...
2
2

Bad Windshields
Yup, Subaru windshields are junk!!! I didn't believe it until I saw the crack on my Impreza's windshield; hit by what must have been the tinniest of rocks. I've heard so many people complain about...
6
6

Oil consume in 99 Legacy 2.5 GX
Oil consume in 99 Legacy 2.5 GX My Legacy (have run 100 000) is using about 1 liters of oil for every 1000 kilometers. Is this normal? I cant see any leeks. Arne Norway
20
20