Enable mp3 playback on 05 Legacy?

I'm trying to find out if the 6-disk changer/stereo installed in 05 non-VDC models is a soft-downgraded version of the VDC's system. If so there should be a way to hack it and enable mp3 functionality in it. My 05 Legacy GT Limited seem not to reject mp3 disks but no sound is coming out and no file info on display. Anybody knows if the 2 stereos are actually different?

Reply to
Val Demar

You are out of luck. Google on "mp3 subaru outback":

It was discussed here on many occasions.

Reply to
LB

I did google before posting but nothing interesting came up. The best info I found was on legacygt.com forums but the discussion didn't go beyond swapping the head unit for the one from VDC which works but pricey. Anyone actually compared chipsets and PCBs?

Val Demar

you got suckered by the integrated stereo crap subaru has pulled in their misguided quest to be a luxury marque. I have an 04 pbw and this will be my last subaru until they make the outback rugged looking again and either give a great stereo or let me install one!!

Reply to
jabario

The stereo works for me, it just would be nice if it also played mp3s.

Reply to
Val Demar

I'm on track with you...I've seen it done (price- point functionality) in all kinds of PCB items-- scanners, FRS radios etc.

I hadn't thought of that angle with my 04 WRX stock system, but it's worth a look...I had been wondering about mounting a front panel jack, to get a line level signal inject...for MP3 use, tho...hmmm.

Reply to
CompUser

If it is the same system the "upgrade" may be as easy as putting a special service CD and pressing a magic button combination, but most likely it is not that easy.

Reply to
Val Demar

That could well be true, if it's a DSP based unit...is that how they are set up these days?

I'm thinking more in the old fashioned "hard wired" mode, add a jumper here, or clip a jumper there...that sort of stuff...

Could be worth a look, either way..

Reply to
CompUser