Flat tire at 600 miles-Subaru Outback Wagon?

Just 8 days after my wife purchased a new 2004 Outback Wagon, I was driving it about 55-60MPH in the left lane of the Baltimore Beltway. I suddenly felt and heard a flat tire (left front). Since it was heavy Mother's Day traffic and there was no left shoulder, I had to continue for some seconds while I crossed 3 lanes, stopping as quickly as possible after I got safely on the right shoulder. The next day I carefully examined the tire, expecting to find a nail or other metal object. However, except for wear marks on the outside wall from being driven on while flat, there was no evidence of a blowout or any foreign objects. The Subaru dealer told my wife that we must have hit something to cause it. Since we had hit absolutely nothing but about 600 miles of pavement, the only causes I can see are a 1) defective tire or 2) a mismounted tire. Since I am concerned about my wife driving the car at any speeds above 40-45 or any but the right lane, can anyone suggest any other reason(s) for such a failure on brand new tires?

Reply to
caseymagoo

Did you try re-inflating and listening? (Soapy water might help)

Anything that would be "suddenly" a flat tire should be pretty obvious.

Or take to a non-dealer related tire place for inspection?

Tires that age (if they are new) shouldn't fail, so the best theory is you hit something but didn't realize it, and cant find it. Any number of objects on the road could make a slit without being easily seen, as well as easy to miss as you are driving.

Tire damage can be hard to find, you may have to have them take it off the rim to see what happened. (And to patch it up again if possible.)

Reply to
Sparky Polastri

Same thing happened to my wife's 2004 Forester after only 5000 miles. She was driving in the fast lane of the Interstate when her front passenger side tire suddenly blew and shredded. It was a Yokohama tire. They replaced it, but we are a little worried now about the reliability and safety of the tires.

Reply to
tenplay

Reply to
James M. Kelly

Underinflated tires can overheat at highway speeds resulting in blowouts. When our '04 FXT was delivered, there was less than 25psi in the tires.

Cheers,

David

Reply to
gundlion