Forester rear strut

Hello,

wat is the expected life of a rear (selfleveling) strut of a Forester '99 ? They're very expensive (400 dollar in Europe) and mine has broken after

150.000 km. I think it's a bit early. I never drive with a caravan or trailer.

Wilco

Reply to
Wilco van Diest
98 2L GLS, both replaced at 38K Miles under warranty, now at 70K miles and replacements seem OK still.
Reply to
Marcus

Varies a good bit with driving habits, and road conditions, but 5 years/95K miles isn't an unusually early demise. Shop on-line for aftermarket struts, and do both sides. The KYB strut seems to be a popular replacement. Rear struts are a reasonably simple DIY project; 3 nuts at the top, two _big_ bolts at the bottom, no need to disturb the brake lines, no alignment settings to mess with. You will want a BIG wrench for the lower bolts; they're pretty tight from the factory, and you might have to loosen the brake caliper to get the upper (?) bolt out.

Hope this helps.

ByeBye! S. Steve Jernigan KG0MB Laboratory Manager Microelectronics Research University of Colorado (719) 262-3101

Quest

No, the car was already 5 years old. I don't know no anything about it's previous life.

"Quest" schreef in bericht news:42fe92f1$0$25524$ snipped-for-privacy@news.optusnet.com.au...

Reply to
Wilco van Diest