New Subaru Outback MY04 (Australian) opinions wanted!

Yeah thanks Jon, I pretty much agree with all your comments. I suspect that wifey will think the Outback will suit her image more than the blower-XT (DOH--she doesn't even drive :-8) And I don't see too many older blowers around--wonder what happens to them? I was surprised however with the insurance quote I got from NRMA. On rating 1 the blower is only $13/mo more than what I pay currently for shitbox '96 Golf (about $1100/yr). That's what really got me interested in it. My 2 grommets may have the final say; I think it will come down to cup-holder count. Now if only that Mac sound system was an option for the Outback I'd be in like... I can't recall/remember if the drive distribution in the Outback is

50:50 front:rear with the 5AT or dynamically distributed as in the 4AT blower (70:30?). Any ideas? cheers, Rob
Reply to
randj

Wow, NRMA seems to always give competitive quotes (heard alot from friends and collegues). I wonder what their service is like if you have a crash? Is it any good?

The drive ratio in the liberty is split 45.7/54.3 bias to the rear (wheels magazine october) Not sure about the Outback but it should be the same. Forgot to mention the Outback gets bigger brake discs as well compare to liberty. Suby shoulda made the McIntosh system standard or available on the premium Outback the standard version is alright... but could have been better

I have seen quite a few XT blowers around here in QLD... but I guess its probably the supply issue and the cost. Maybe cos its quite a leap over the comparable model and to insure. See a lot of NA versions running around ;D

If u have kiddies... dare i say it here... you might wanna check out the Toyota kluger......(there u go i said it.. flame me) Its not a bad car (its based on a Camry... so bring on the understeer), the interior is lot more conservative but you get more room and practicality if u have kiddies or wanting cup holders.

One dealer up here in QLD was offering free tin boat and trailer worth 3G for any 2003 model Kluger... Hard to ignore if ure into fishing..

Anyway hope it helps

Jon

Reply to
Jon

Man, get outta my brainspace!! Kluger has been the dark horse in all my equations. It's a very compelling alternative, but it's so damn plug-ugly. I've just come back this arvo from having a look (3rd actually) at the Freddy Kruger, with the clan, and they love it, for all the wrong reasons (that cup-holder index again-Freddy wins hands down). The best AND worst thing about it for mine is it's size--much too big for my brainspace to cope with, and will deal my self-image a huge body blow: it is after all a 4WD Camry people mover as you say. Moving nearly

2 tonnnes of sheet-metal through the 'burbs would be like threading a needle for me, and I'd also have to buy myself a new circle of friends...

Re NRMA insurance quote: I wonder whether it's because they categorise the XT-blower as a 4WD, as opposed to a Rex, which they'd call a sports/performance car? In any case, I was mildly shocked too with the quote, to the point where the XT is still a large blip on my radar.

The comparisons between the Outback and Freddy have been fascinating for me; they're more similar physically and mechanically (4WD autos, power & torque output) than a casual look would suggest, dare I say it, from the point of view of having to cart around 2 kids and associated payload. I guess it boils down to whether you want new technology in a sexy package (Outback), or old technology refined (Freddy). I'll be fascinated to hear how the Outback works out for you--I've got a couple of months up my sleeve yet before the Golf self-destructs, and the balance is currently 70:30 Outback:Freddy Cheers, Rob

Reply to
randj

No, they're pretty reliable; it's just that being relatively expensive, not that many people bought them in the first place; I see a few GT's around, but not that many, and they didn't release them (in Australia) until a fair while after the Forester was released. Put it this way; there are a heap of early WRX's & Liberty RS's around, and they're 10 to 15 years old; if anything, Foresters would be more reliable, as they're detuned in comparison.

-Forg

Reply to
Forg