Stuck/rusted Tailgate Latch - manual release?

So my rear gate latch (01 outback) has been rusting over the years and finally decide to quit working. while i know i'd have no problem replacing the assembly myself (suggestions for online store?), the first trick is actually opening the gate! can't find reference to a manual override of the lock mechanism anywhere- suggestions? access the lock from the interior side of the tailgate? do i have to make the handle work this one last time before i can replace it? thanks for the suggestions!

matt

Reply to
telephan

I've read that when this happens on older soobs, pushing IN on the handle before opening seems to hel. Otherwise , pop the panel off inside I guess.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan