subaru impreza or saab 92x?

ok, now I realized that saab 92x is indeed a subaru with saab shell, but I've heard that it's much better interior, more reliable, and much more stiff suspension.

Also I have $3500 accumulation on my GM visa card which can spent on Saab. so the final price of Saab 92-x won't be too high comparing an impreza, and the good point is that GM have 5 years warranty on Saab contrary to subaru which has only 4 years.

So.... shall I switch to Saab 92-x? what's the difference between 92-x and impreza?

Reply to
grape

Hi,

Our local paper has a car section on Saturdays, and yesterday's section included a story about Saab, including the 92-x.

Gist of the story was that 92-x sales were absolutely dismal to date, Saab's total division performance was a continuing money loser since GM "rescued" them, and GM execs are scratching their heads, trying to decide whether to continue w/ Saab or just euthanize it. With Saab's total annual sales

Reply to
Rick Courtright

as for the price part, the new subaru impreza 2006 2.5i is CDN$2,3499 MSRP and 92-x is CDN $287xx so, the discount will be $251xx around... and seriously, I surely biased more towards subaru, but what I've heard is that Saab is better quality and GM is really offering 5 years warranty on it rather than 4 years where subaru offers.

also, I suspect that if 92-x is broken, I can find more places to repair it, maybe even more easy to get a parts or so? Or maybe they still have to ship everything from Japan Subaru?

Reply to
grape

If saab goes bust, parts will be inherently harder to source. Subaru isn't gonna die in a hurry though, it's a safer bet long-term. The extra one-year warranty means shit as mechanically the cars are near identical. Your subaru is very unlikely to break in five years unless you treat it like shit.

-mark

Reply to
Mark jb

Hi,

Just thought I chime in on a few points here-

I own a Saab 9-2X and I carefully compared it to a Subaru WRX prior to making the purchase:

First - There is no difference in quality - FHI manufactures the 9-2X on the same line with the same equipment and many of the same components as the Subaru...

Second - The Saab warranty is 4 Years and the Subaru Warranty is 3 years -- There are other benefits to the Saab warranty - such as 2 years Free maintenance - this is definitely a plus for Saab.

Third - With the GM Employee pricing and Huge Rebates - You should definitely be able to get a better price on a 92X than an Impreza - My 92X Aero was more than $2500 Less than the best deal I could get for a WRX --- Not bad, escpecially considering I had a host of fetures and options that could not be purchased on the WRX (E.G. Xenons and Leather).

Fourth - The suspension on the 92X is SOFTER than the WRX - Not by much - but it does result in slightly poorer handling but ... slightly better ride...

Fifth - The Saab has a lot more Sound deadening material - Again reducing road noise, but at the cost of performance... If you are interested in all out performance - definitely go with the WRX ... It handles a bit better and accelerates a bit bitter and you will know that all of the Mods work with it... with the 92X Most do... but you can never be certain and support from the 3rd party vendors is weaker. (Even though it essentially the same car with a few tweaks.)

Sixth - With the Rebates ($6000 US) and the employee pricing these cars have been flying off the lots ---- (Saab Sales were up 94% in July - Due largely to 92X sales) --- So if you are interested, you better act fast because there is very little inventory to choose from.

Seventh - If you can find the 92X you want and combine the Rebates with the Employee pricing and your GM Card dollars --- Go For it - there probably isn't a better deal anywhere !!!

Reply to
SpikeMBA

thank you for your reply... your info are very helpful.

btw, is 92-x a bit bigger inside?

Reply to
grape

Nope, the Interior volume is identical.... In fact other than the leather (if you go for this option on the 9-2X) and the Automatic Climate control you would have a hard time telling the Impreza interior from the 9-2X interior. Most of the enhancements are in places you don't see, like the sound insulation. (The seats are also slightly different ... but not really significantly!)

I personally prefer the Saab's exterior styling - but this is purely subjective and you may prefer the Impreza --- take a look at both and decide for yourself.

Are you looking at a 9-2X Aero or Linear and are you comparing to a WRX or a 2.5 RS Impreza ?

Just to be sure you should compare the

9-2X Aero (2.0L Turbo) to the WRX and the

9-2X Linear (2.5L NA) to the Impreza 2.5RS

Now when I bought there was GM Employee pricing and a $ 6000 (US) rebate in effect ... and I was able to get a 9-2X Aero with a bunch of nice upgrades for about the same price as the 2.5RS Impreza lists for ... If you are also able to get the same deals (I think you are in Canada and I don't know if the same things apply there!) and they allow you to use the GM Cash (I read on a forum that it was not allowed on Saab?) -- I stand by statement that you can't get a better deal!

Finally - You may want to check these forums:

and

Good Luck ...

Reply to
SpikeMBA

Hello Again,

One More thing - I went to the Saab Canada Website and Found that the Employee pricing is available there too:

$ 23,658 for a 9-2X Linear in Canadian Dollars ... (Seems higher than the US Pricing converted $ 19,425 US for An AERO!)

But is still pretty good compared to the $ 28,700 that you quote in your Previous Post...

Good Luck Again!

Reply to
SpikeMBA

Learn everything there is to know about the 9-2x.

Go to saab92x.com

Jim

grape wrote:

Reply to
Jim Fekete

It's the same car with cosmetic difference. You can always bring it back to subaru to get it repair.

Reply to
foxmon

I hate to burst your bubble, but the last time I looked, you cannot apply your GM credit card earnings toward a Saab.

Check yourself to be sure.

Reply to
BRH

Too late. They're all gone. With all the GM incentives the last 3 months, they were all snatched up.

Reply to
JJ

GM has tweaked the rules depending on price and popularity. Many of the lower-priced compacts have a redemption limit of $1000. It goes to up to $3500 for more expensive vehicles. The more popular high priced vehicles only have a $1000 allowance (SSR, Corvette, CTS, Hummer H2 SUT, G6, GTO). Saab isn't part of the package.

Reply to
y_p_w

Psssstt, ...if you're in Canada you can use your GM card earnings toward a Saab purchase (max. $1500 on the 92X), or even a Saturn, and get the employee discount too!

GM prefers to "milk" their own!

MN

Reply to
MN